Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Angry Pro Tools LE 7.4 upgrade to Version 8

Not including the weekend , I have sat here for 2 whole days and not recorded a single jot. Why is it so hard to upgrade to V8? Is it because I am eligible for free upgrade? I have tried everything...uninstall and try again, Windows medis player 9, Ilok upgrade, XP upgrade etc. I have looked on google and it seems I'm not the only one. I tried the help desk but they told me my free 90 day tech support was over...I didn't need them for 7.4, that was great but V8 is not working, surely the 90 day should restart!
Anyway, please help. I am getting "PACERegister returned an error-3" when I rebbot and "Application error 0xc000001d" when I try and open the unzipped V8.
I have an Mbox 2 mini btw and an AMD Athlon MP@1600 Mhz??? does this matter?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 7.4 upgrade to Version 8

Hi Crazycol,

welcome in the club ;-) I have the same problem. I´m a new user of PT8. I have spend the whole weekend too and only bad results "PACERegister returned an error-3" and "Application error 0xc000001d" :-( After reading the whole DigiDesgin-Homepage *lol* I think the Problem is our AMD Processor. To old or not PT supported. I use 2x AMD 1900+ in my PC with WinXP, SP3, 2GB Ram and a MBox2. If I only had known this before, that the installation of PT8 is soooo difficult, I´m not shure that I have bought the system. But I will work with PT8 but I don´t know witch Components or settings I need for my PC, that it works! Is there anybody out there, who knows a relativ cheep PC-system (Homerec.- not prof.)? I hope anybody can help me. I want to make music and not configure my PC for weeks.

Thank you
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Yea, all that stuff matters. AMD processors are a hit and miss for Pro Tools. Go intel :)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 AM

>...Go intel :)
Mmh, I wish you are right ;-) I think this is not the only answer to this problem. When you read the specifications and requirements for your system on the DigiDesign-HP you will go crazy! Millions of infos and nothing concrete. "When you use this, it works fine, but only when you use this in addition, but when you have these things it might be a problem with this an so on..." I´m very confused and I don´t know what to do. If anybody could tell me "Buy this PC or these components and than it works", I would do it directly! I was so happy about my new system (MBOX2, Oxygen 25, 24"-TFT) and now this. The only thing I want to do is making music. I´m not a computer expert and I don´t know anything about "CPU Chipset XYZ" and "Socket 775", etc. I´m a musican and feel a little bit forsaken from DigiDesign. And this from a manufacturer in High-End-Products and Users all over the world. And when I read the Forum and Google, I think I´m not the only one you have massiv problems with the new Vers.8 LE :-(
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 PM

I know the feeling exactly. I had a GREAT working version of 7.4 and decided to upgrade to 8.0 after reading SOS review of it.

I had to download it for two hours - that didn't work, had to re-order, had a whole weekend to wait for tech support. I tried to uninstall 7.4 and install 8.0 on my XP drive and ran out of disk space. I ended up re-formatting my XP drive and installing a clean version of 8.0 - THAT worked. Many of the 7.x plugins (EQ, Compressors, etc) you have been adding for years are already in 8.0. So you don't need them anymore

Ideally, I would "ghost" your current setup before installing 8.0 so you can revert to 7.4 if needed. I did not do that but I finally got 8.0 running fine on clean XP-re-formatted drive. But when all is said & done, I am not sure I gained much of anything by doing the 8.0 upgrade. If you are doing hip-hop & want loops etc I guess the free plugins are cool, but for me they are mostly gimmicky. I already had fine 'verb, delay, 7-band eq, BF compressors, etc. I use my old Sampletank for virtual sounds. I gained very little with 8.0

But I am also a hobbyist. I am looking forward to the day when I have time to learn all the new 8.0 tricks I paid for.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 AM

Okay - one day later I have to take back what i just said. I just taught myself how to change pitches with elastic audio and THAT is amazing.

Changing pitch with elastic audio:

If I can remember the process it is something like this: take a track and in the "elastic audio plug-in selector" - (which is at the bottom of the track menu in the edit section and looks like a pole with a cement base) select "polyphonic". Go to the note you want to change and highlight it, separate it into its own region using "control-e" - now go to the regions menu and select "elastic properties" - click in the "pitch shift" box and use the arrow keys to tell it how many semi-tones you want to go up or down.

If you don't know, a semi-tone is the different of on fret on a guitar, or i key on a piano, if you want to go from f# to A, select three +3 semi-tones for example.