Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-1999, 11:14 PM

Default the same old story

you mean I just have to re-buy a Quadra with Nubus card to edit my songs?
I think spending all this money for a 24Mix I deserve some consideration from DD
Old 03-19-1999, 10:10 AM
Avid

Default Re: the same old story

What are you referring to newfield?

-bm-
Old 03-20-1999, 11:56 PM

I am disgusted with this situation ! The loss of SDII is unacceptable !!! I have been a Digidesign customer since Sound Designer first came out, and I cut my teeth on that program. I have purchased one Digi system after another, and never dreamed I would have SDII taken away from me ! Now, with our brand new Mix 24 rig, we have to set up another computer to run SDII !!! Are you people insane ? Wake up and give the people what they want !!! You have no excuse ! Do it !
Old 03-21-1999, 04:42 AM

Why you don´t sell the source code like ASTARTE did with Toast. I am shure that there will be a lot of Software houses which will take the opportunity to buy the source code and give us back a better provided and from us so much beloved Sounddesigner.

Franz, Vienna, Austria
Old 03-21-1999, 04:42 AM

Why you don´t sell the source code like ASTARTE did with Toast. I am shure that there will be a lot of Software houses which will take the opportunity to buy the source code and give us back a better provided and from us so much beloved Sounddesigner.

Franz, Vienna, Austria
Old 03-21-1999, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately, the original source code was never documented. We have discussed allowing Bias to reverse engineer the program at no charge, and they do not have the resources available at this time to devote to that endeavor. It's not as easy as it might seem.
Some users have added an AMIII card to their PT 24 or MIX systems in order to edit using SDII. The cards can exist in the same computer without conflicting.

Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 03-27-1999, 04:12 PM

I'm really amazed that it was possible for SDII to be developed right through to v2.82 which was not that long ago, without any source code documentation!!!
How did you manage it?
A few months ago someone in this forum offered to take over development of SDII but he didn't get any reply as far as I know.
PLEASE follow this up - it would be brilliant to keep SDII alive.
Old 04-26-1999, 10:26 AM

I am still interested in getting the SDII source and adding features, I never received a reply to this offer in the past.
Old 04-27-1999, 08:35 AM
Administrator

I have forwarded the appropriate contact info to Randy.

Brian Hageman
Manager, Worldwide Electronic Marketing & E-Commerce
Old 04-27-1999, 03:53 PM

I think that the main issue of this thread excist allready since the beginning of the Pro-Tools24 card, and has become the oldest and longest thread in Digi's history, but still nothing has changed, I presume they don't give a #*#*#*#.
Some time ago was stated that the reason why Digi makes no more upgrades for SDII was that the "compiler" (some kind of pre-historic-pascal-thing in which SDII was originaly writen) could not cope with more data than the amount of data which is now used by the latest version of SDII. But now reverse-engineering seems a possibillity! (???)
Why this new excuse that now the doc's are missing? Even a stranger thing: I can't believe that Digi will be sharing the source-code of a program with a company like BIAS whom brings out allready their own 2-track editor (PEAK2.X), and now owns also a big competing product to PT4: DECK 2.X...
Even if so: no wonder that BIAS
"do not have the resources available at this time to devote to that endeavor."
YEAH: imagine that SDII becomes as "stable" as PEAK!!

Dear Randy, I hope they put up the source-code on their ftp site, and that you actualy turn up with a realy nice, use-full and faster working version of SDII. if ever this miracle-wish becomes true, please keep me informed, and I'll be your first upgrade customer.

But there must be a strange and hidden reason why Digi is affraid to upgrade or publish the code.. Maybe they hope to sell you an other AMIII Card with your new PT24MIX, (or just have you to buy an other firm's software products)? But remember: add an AMIII to a recent G3/PT24 rig is not all!!!
YOU'LL HAVE TO BUY A PCI EXPANSION RACK AS WELL!!!!:
MAC G3 PCI 1: Expansion rack; PCI 2: SCSI CARD; PCI 3: AMIII ;
Expansion rack PCI 1: PT24; PCI 2&3: DSP Farms, PCI 4: 2nd Videao card.

Yes I admit: I've baught an AMIII for this pupose only; so Digi won on that one, but they've lost allready three complete PT24 systems: two friends of mine still use thier old NUBUS AMII and PCI AMIII cards, and they refuse to upgrade as long as SDII is not running on a PT24 system, and in my 2nd studio we're still using a PT16 system for the same reason... No SDII? NO PT24 !!!

Digi wake-up and look around:
LINUX, Communicator: IT'S REALITY!!!
Get your FTP config fixed, and put the SDII Source-code and all doc's on your FTP site: NOW!
Please can someone explain to these mega busines corporate guys on the top floor of the Digidesign-building that we need to buy Digi hardware anny-way to be able to use SDII?

(My $1.50)

HubySEA