Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-1999, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Future of SoundDesigner II

I only just stumbled onto this thread and am saddened to hear the news about SDII. I was talking to my dealer about upgrading to ProTools 24 a few days ago, but now I'm reconsidering. Tell me: will the Sound Designer II file format be phased out as well? Should I start saving the last six years worth of work as AIFF files just in case?
Old 02-03-2000, 01:58 AM

Has anyone had the opportunity demo Spark/TC? Would anyone please comment about this program and how good/bad it is. Also, is Audio Media III compatible with Spark?
It sounds based on everyone's response that Bias Peak doesn't live up to or compare with SD II.
Old 02-03-2000, 02:31 AM

I gotta' cast my vote for SDII and MLCD to be made into one application. As far as SDII going the way of the dino's that's too bad........

What is going away next, regions in all applications, why not just remove all editing functions from all digi products and just make them multi trak recorders. How about getting rid of all functionality and making coffee table pieces.

Now repeat this and make like a very old man......

"In my day we didn't have no gol' durn capture funtion, we just hollered at the screen AND WE LIKED IT........and we didn't need no dang gum wave form display, we clawed shapes on the fancy TV hooked up to the number crunchin' do hicky; until we had bloody stumps for hands........bloody stumps standing there hollerin' at the screen clawing fancy shapes and WE LIKED IT........

Bye SDII

e

[This message has been edited by editor (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old 02-03-2000, 07:08 AM

Send this to Mr. Paine:

So how about putting the source on a download and make it shareware so someone can try to continue to modify/expand/re-write it!!!!!
Old 03-08-2000, 08:34 AM

Yes, Digidesign. Sell your source code of Sound Designer II to a company that's willing to rewrite it for your platform for you!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2000, 12:41 AM

Put my vote in for a new version. Take some of the nice features in Peak like the support for the AS plugs and rewrite the Damn program!! Plus when your in PT it's is nice you can open the current tracks in SD unlike Peak. Unless there is a hack for that to have it show up in the region menu?

Instead of wasting resources on an underselling PTNT Make SD a leader again! If you truly do have over 100k users Liek a rep told me a year ago then I think the buyers will be there.

Bill
Cleveland, OH
Old 03-23-2000, 03:05 PM

Another vote for SDII or III even - see my previous posts. Editing in ProTools is a bit like Word 6 - too fully featured and richly hidden for me. I will use SDII while the three m/c and two cards hang on. I really can't imagine what the problem is here - can't digi find a niche in which Peak and Spark don't excel? For a start SDII editing is already that niche for me. Why not give the consumer like me a chance to buy the program all over again for the sake of its continuance and usefulness to me and bring in a new customer base by not tying it to Digi hardware and enabling DV and other multimedia sound options with ease?

If not, I think it unfair of Digi not to sell it to another developer, albeit under licence...
Old 03-23-2000, 07:48 PM

..And another vote for SDII...if for nothing else, take a stopwatch and double click on a stereo SDII file , then try doing that "from scratch" in PT5.0....
No contest in the time saved...

yup, I gotta agree, rewrite it, sell it to someone who will, whatever. Keep it alive
Old 03-23-2000, 07:49 PM

..And another vote for SDII...if for nothing else, take a stopwatch and double click on a stereo SDII file , then try doing that "from scratch" in PT5.0....
No contest in the time saved...

yup, I gotta agree, rewrite it, sell it to someone who will, whatever. Keep it alive
Old 03-28-2000, 07:38 AM

…just another YES to all of you guys!
By the way I am doing only classical stuff but couldn't live without SDII.

Nandor