How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Default This Forum is becoming a "Ghost Town"

Did everybody just give up?

It almost doesn't matter what company you've signed on with (PT, Nuendo/Cubase, Logic, DP, Studio 1, etc.), PRODUCT SUPPORT, the way we've come to expect it, NO LONGER EXISTS!

It's so rare now that retailers are selling what little they know about whatever they sell as "concierge service," because they KNOW we can't get through to our respective sources. Those sources are now trying to retro- actively rent us the gear and expected service that we already bought and paid in full for(Waves, CS, now PT)! I personally haven't been able to use product support ever since Yamaha bought Steinberg! That means I've been on my own since Nuendo 3 and we're about to go to Ver. 7 in a matter of weeks!! Fortunately being a user since ver. 1 through 3 gave me a great foundation to work from. But it's still been tough at times having to rely solely on other users, youtube and sales people to get answers.

So, the last place any of us have to cobble together some honest, helpful information are these forums! But as I look around, more and more of them seem to dying. Sometimes it's because the gear is no longer being made (Mackie D8B & HDRs, Panasonic DA-7, Sony DMX R-100, &, sadly, Euphonix). Other times, it's just market share (Smart AV). But rarely is it because the gear works so well that only newbies need advice, while everyone else is happily working away.

Now it looks like this forum is drying up as well. I'm looking at dozens of topics on this first page alone with hundreds of views per, and NOT ONE RESPONSE to any of them! There's one guy who's been going around to multiple forums asking how to get his used MC Pro working and nobody on any of the sites is talking back to this poor guy.

I've posted several questions myself and rarely had a turn-around time of less than 2 weeks before I get a reply and that's IF I get a reply at all. So, if none of us are talking to each other anymore, how do we move forward with these tools? People who've had enough and just sell the gear and start over in a completely new paradigm, I get. Enough is enough! People who can afford to go back to rock solid basics (ie: a real desk and a RADAR or the like), I get. But the rest of us HAVE to still be in the majority and we need to get our riggs stable and productive. If we stop talking to each other, how is that supposed to happen?

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Good question? Maybe too much "brow beating" by Avid's "Members"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
Did everybody just give up?

It almost doesn't matter what company you've signed on with (PT, Nuendo/Cubase, Logic, DP, Studio 1, etc.), PRODUCT SUPPORT, the way we've come to expect it, NO LONGER EXISTS!

It's so rare now that retailers are selling what little they know about whatever they sell as "concierge service," because they KNOW we can't get through to our respective sources. Those sources are now trying to retro- actively rent us the gear and expected service that we already bought and paid in full for(Waves, CS, now PT)! I personally haven't been able to use product support ever since Yamaha bought Steinberg! That means I've been on my own since Nuendo 3 and we're about to go to Ver. 7 in a matter of weeks!! Fortunately being a user since ver. 1 through 3 gave me a great foundation to work from. But it's still been tough at times having to rely solely on other users, youtube and sales people to get answers.

So, the last place any of us have to cobble together some honest, helpful information are these forums! But as I look around, more and more of them seem to dying. Sometimes it's because the gear is no longer being made (Mackie D8B & HDRs, Panasonic DA-7, Sony DMX R-100, &, sadly, Euphonix). Other times, it's just market share (Smart AV). But rarely is it because the gear works so well that only newbies need advice, while everyone else is happily working away.

Now it looks like this forum is drying up as well. I'm looking at dozens of topics on this first page alone with hundreds of views per, and NOT ONE RESPONSE to any of them! There's one guy who's been going around to multiple forums asking how to get his used MC Pro working and nobody on any of the sites is talking back to this poor guy.

I've posted several questions myself and rarely had a turn-around time of less than 2 weeks before I get a reply and that's IF I get a reply at all. So, if none of us are talking to each other anymore, how do we move forward with these tools? People who've had enough and just sell the gear and start over in a completely new paradigm, I get. Enough is enough! People who can afford to go back to rock solid basics (ie: a real desk and a RADAR or the like), I get. But the rest of us HAVE to still be in the majority and we need to get our riggs stable and productive. If we stop talking to each other, how is that supposed to happen?

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM

I rarely on the duc, err, avid pro audio community but I've spent a lot of time over the past 15+ years on avid's video forums. I've been thinking along similar lines there. Not so much unanswered questions but lower volume. Wondering what are the actual traffic stats. Still, at least there's a town to become a ghost town. Some products makers, Sorenson Media for example but by no means are they the only one, never had a town to dessert.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 PM

Gearslutz took a lot of people away

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 AM

Default This Forum is becoming a "Ghost Town"

Well I finally have a great working PT 11 with no issues, cloned hard drive and frankly I'm done upgrading everything. Although I know we own the licenses and not software, I'm not "renting monthly" from anyone and I'm going to use this system until my computer croaks. Maybe 5 - 7 years? Either way this new way of doing things would be great IF WE HAD THE SUPPORT OF ACTUAL BUGS resolved in a more expedient manner. Because that's how the computer age made us. I'm not a fan of Yosemite so that issue is resolved, some minor plug tweaks here and there, and I'm creating. Not chasing bugs. I wonder how many other people are saying the same thing in surrender to getting as close to stable as possible, wiping their brows in relief, and staying put?
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
Gearslutz took a lot of people away
GS is what the internet has become. Lack of professionals who got tired of being disrespected by the "I Know" newbie types who only see their favorite product as the answer. I left there around the time thethrillfactor and most of all the other professionals with real world experience left. I lurk in the high end every once in a while but GS is more like the rap forum all over now.

The DUC is similar as most of my colleagues left here quite some time ago. Not much real world professional gentlemen left here. Mostly bickering and complaining.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
GS is what the internet has become. Lack of professionals who got tired of being disrespected by the "I Know" newbie types who only see their favorite product as the answer. I left there around the time thethrillfactor and most of all the other professionals with real world experience left. I lurk in the high end every once in a while but GS is more like the rap forum all over now.

The DUC is similar as most of my colleagues left here quite some time ago. Not much real world professional gentlemen left here. Mostly bickering and complaining.
I would be interested to know where all the professionals have gone. I will be honest and say that DUC is not a nice place to visit most days, and I tend to avoid it more each week.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Re: This Forum is becoming a "Ghost Town"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Good question? Maybe too much "brow beating" by Avid's "Members"?
How about too little meaningful response from Avid regarding bugs and features that were promised but not delivered?

If anyone's abandoned this forum, it's Avid.

Hundreds of views and no replies because lots of people have the same problem and there are no solutions. Only frustrated customers.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Re: This Forum is becoming a "Ghost Town"

^^^ +1