Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 AM

Default What is your problem Avid?

Hey everybody,
I'm very very very upset!

I'm a Student and bought PT11 Edu Version.
This is my Story:

- I installed it (11.2.2) on my iMac (27" late 2009 Yosemite) it doesn't work.
- Now 11.3 is out, installed, doesn't work
- I installed it on my Mac Book Pro (13" mid 2010 Yosemite) and it is working.
- I clean installed Yosemite on my iMac, installed 11.3 - still doesn't work
- I co-installed Mavericks on my iMac and installed 11.3 - Aaaand now it starts but it says my disk is read only?!?!?!?!?!
- As if this wasn't enough I get an Avid Mbox Mini 3rd Gen and there is no Output

Are you kidding me?
C'mon Avid - Where is the "Pro" in Pro Tools????
It is really a shame that Pro Tools 11 was so long not "qualified" for Yosemite. Go with the time and make it running for the newest OS, I really don't get it why is it such a problem.

Yes you can say "Why are you not using your Macbook" or "Pro Tools is such a professionel software it should run only on it's own partition with a OS that is really qualified" - Sorry but this is crap! My MBP is just for traveling, my iMac is my workspace. I'm working in different media areas (Audio, Video, Concerts, Lightshow, Animation etc.) and you make it difficult to work. If I should use for every Software a different partition with different OS because every developer has it's own silly requirements the media world wouldn't be such diverse.

Sorry for these words, but I hope you understand why I'm upset. I only wanted to work with professional tools.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:06 AM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Default Re: What is your problem Avid?

I have 11.3 running well on iMacs on MBP and on older Mac Pro. It even runs fine on OS 10.10.

Sounds like a combination of a few problems (playback engine, configuring the AMS, installing drivers for mbox3) that would be fixable with customer support, did you call them? You do get free support calls with new purchases, bother customer support until all your systems work, that's what they are paid for. They will be happy to help, and if indeed there's a serious compatibility issue they should be the first to know a workaround.

On a side note, I agree with you that protools should not live on an island partition to work well.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:28 AM

If you are interested in getting help from this forum, I'd suggest you read this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336556

It shows what information we need before we can help.

Check the compatibility documents to make sure you have a system that will work with Pro Tools. For instance, do you have the current versions of plug-ins and interface drivers? Are you using an external hard drive for audio files?

Good luck.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Hey guys,
thanks for your response!

As I bought Pro Tools I didn't knew that it is such complicated to run Avid Software. My iMac is 5 years old and I can work with any other software (adobe cs6, final cut, logic etc.) without any issues.

I will contact the support again after the holidays.

I have the fear that Avid will say "Im sorry, your mac is not qualified for Pro Tools" - But that would be really pathetic in my opinion.

My current setup:
- iMac 27" late 2009
- 3,06gHz Core 2 Duo
- 1tb internal Harddrive (Hitachi)
- 16GB Ram (4x4 ddr3 1066mhz Samsung)
- ATI Radeon Graphics with 256Mb
- Yosemite 10.1 / Mavericks 10.9.5
- Samsung 23" external Monitor (Mini Displayport -> DVI)
- Avid MBox mini (3rd Gen with latest drivers 1.3)
- Pro Tools 11.3 / 11.2.2 (or whatever you want)
- Apple Keyboard Aluminium with Keypad
- Apple Magic Mouse
- No Plug-Ins

I will work only on my intern hdd, maybe for smaller projects on an external drive - But first Pro Tools has to work properly

Connected Devices:
- Firewire 800 HDD
- 2x USB 2.0 HDD
- Active USB Hub
- iLok 2
- Canon IP7200 Printer

Hmmm so I guess thats all
Old 12-25-2014, 06:08 PM

"Doesn't work" is not enough information for us to help you. What exactly "doesn't work"? Does PT not install correctly? Does it install but won't launch? Will it launch but is throwing error messages or crashing? We need specific information as to what is going on so that you/we can troubleshoot and get it resolved, including detailed info about any behavior and and any error messages that you are encountering.

And, relax man! Most of us had issues with PT rigs to iron out when we first became users. The Macs that you listed are almost certainly being successfully used by alot of people, so give us the details and we'll help you out. I don't think I've ever had a PC or Mac that was qualified by Avid, and have successfully gotten PT running on a huge range of hardware configurations.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:20 AM

On Yosemite PT freezes during the splash screen.
On Mavericks PT starts and when it comes to create a new session and I want to save it it says my disk is read only.
I created a second user on Mavericks (with Admin rights too) and there it told me when it comes to save the session "the session has to be on a record drive. Please enable R in the workspace for the recorddrive"
Old 12-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Stop trying to record audio to your boot drive ! It may not solve all your problems, but it's certainly the first place to start.

Skip those USB2 drives and designate the FW 800 as your audio drive in the "disk allocation" pulldown menu.

You'd be well advised to carefully read the instructions for setting up Pro Tools before you contact Avid tech support. Best of luck.
Why shouldn't I record to the boot drive?!
The USB Drives are only for Backups and the FW800 is for outsourced projects. Usually I work on my "bootdrive" - It's a 1tb hdd, just 1 partition. Why should this be a problem?!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerav View Post
Why shouldn't I record to the boot drive?!
The USB Drives are only for Backups and the FW800 is for outsourced projects. Usually I work on my "bootdrive" - It's a 1tb hdd, just 1 partition. Why should this be a problem?!
Because of the way the plugins and the main app are designed. There is a tremendous amount of data going back and forth with multiple audio files (tracks). Couple that along with access times to get to all the sectors and tracks on the disk to play back and you will soon run out of cache. If you want to run Pro Tools successfully, configure your system to run according to the optimization guidelines. Your system will work, and your frustration level will diminish...not all the way, that's what the forum is about.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:27 PM

+1 Amen, the 'pro' in Pro Tools also relies on the user, which means reading the manuals, knowing the limitations, optimizations etc...

I would suggest running a clone, then starting all over again from scratch, fresh OS install, Install drivers, then install Pro Tools and test it! Do not install anything else. Then one at a time add third party plugins, then test, once it's working; Clone that drive, test that drive.

Then start installing the other apps you need. Unfortunately, Pro Tools is a very particular piece of software and you have to abide by their guidelines. If Logic works for you and you don't NEED protools, just use that :P Good luck.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 AM

as far as i am concerned, "recording" to another drive is not fixing the problem and is more or less an optimization if the program works in the first place. which it does not in his case.

the error "drive is read only" can not be caused by PT if you ask me. it sounds more or less like a system issue to me and PT might want to store data in places where it is not (or your user is not) allowed to store in. this might be a wrong user library path.