Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Re: live recording and amount of hd's

I'm seeing mention of "SSD" in this thread. Different SSDs vary wildly in reliability and performance and can differ in optimum setup configuration. If folks are having problems it makes little sense to talk about an "SSD" vs. being specific on make and exact model used.

And back to the original post, I would not be using a HDD for any portable application, a good SSD is much more reliable and higher performance. Samsung 840 Evo or Pro are excellent or the new 850 Pro looks even better (would like to see it used for a while...). Or for a Mac environment there are good Firewire SSD options, either build yourself with one of these drives, or from Lacie, including their stunning high performance Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 with dual internal PCIe (not slow old SATA) SSDs.

I'll also point out the initial question is impossible for anybody to answer without any idea of the session sample rate used (well you could assume it is 192 kHz and answer for hat worst case...).
Old 09-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'll also point out the initial question is impossible for anybody to answer without any idea of the session sample rate used (well you could assume it is 192 kHz and answer for hat worst case...).
Since this is a Venue section the sampling rate in question is most likely 48khz cause Venue desks are fixed @ 48khz
Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Doh, good point.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcx View Post
i use the same type of double data kit by ifixit. cables and drives work but i guess there is something about my late 2012 mini that makes it difficult to have both drives as an SSD.

I'm struggling to get both working, usually i'm a nerd on this - but i'm facing a demon here. i guess you did it right by accident, as osx somehow seems to think about two ssds in a mini as a broken fusion drive and disables the second SATA (upper drive). there is very rare documentation about this but most people have succeeded like you did. clone the internat HDD to a SSD in a usb dock and then put the drives in.

but as far as i am concerned. you have a running system there, don't touch it and do not go to the disk utility in recovery or usb stick installer mode. this seems to mess everything up as disk util in osx is fine once it worked for me but diskutil in recovery mode shuts SATA 2 (upper) down as it sees a broken fusion drive again.

once i have it running (stable) i will post a step by step here in how to get it working. but i am preparing my mind to have on SSD internal (boot), one HDD internal (backup/storage) and one SSD in a USB3 or thunderbolt housing to record on... sucks but will work too.
to quickly jump back to this issue:

with my late 2012 mac mini it is not possible to have 2 ssds internally installed. might be due to mavericks 10.9... but in any configuration of ssds drives or different install methods (to internal drive -> copy to external -> swap drives. install externally -> move drive to internal. upper / lower no change...) no change at all. i am not able to write data to the upper ssds drive (error code -36 - no documentation on this error code).

thing is, it works with one ssd and one hdd drive, as long as i avoid the fusiondrive. to avoid the fusion drive you'll need to have both drives formatted before installing internally. if one drive is not formatted you'll have trouble to avoid the fusion drive.

so what i did is i purchased an external thunderbolt case and put the second ssd in. the external thunderbolt ssd reads and writes at 300mb/s which is 200mb/s more then the internal hdd and 100mb/s less then the internal ssd. but still enough...

but anyhow a bummer to make it work like this as it was supposed to have 2 ssds internal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Thought I'd post my specifics, might help us to ascertain what element in the equation is causing problems. Daryl is definitely correct about the different performance of different models of SSD.

For what it's worth, the specs on my working system are:
Mac Mini Late 2012 2.3gHz i7
OSX 10.9.2 (mavericks)

and the Drives are:
OWC 120gb Mercury Electra 6G (system)
OWC 120gb Mercury Electra 3G (storage)

I know its cold comfort since you've already adapted, but I figured it can't hurt.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Guys, so what are the SSD drives recommended today?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:01 PM

I already gave my recommendations a few posts ago. Samsung have an incredibly good track record and great products. The 840 Pro or 850 Pro (if you don't mind being at the bleeding edge) are where I would start for pro use. But they are SATA and you may be better off with PCIe based SSD if you want higher performance -- large post houses are hopefully thinking about things like that, and staging/archiving off more commodity SAN/NAS.

Micron also make nice SATA drives and more interesting products at the higher end/PCIe interconnect space, SanDisk is getting interesting given new products and their acquisition of FusionIO. Almost every company who does not own a NAND flash fab have dubious future prospects. Samsung is the 800 pound gorilla with a large NAND flash fab, microprocessor/controller fab, lots of effort invested in firmware and some great technology.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Thought I'd post my specifics, might help us to ascertain what element in the equation is causing problems. Daryl is definitely correct about the different performance of different models of SSD.

For what it's worth, the specs on my working system are:
Mac Mini Late 2012 2.3gHz i7
OSX 10.9.2 (mavericks)

and the Drives are:
OWC 120gb Mercury Electra 6G (system)
OWC 120gb Mercury Electra 3G (storage)

I know its cold comfort since you've already adapted, but I figured it can't hurt.
having two different ssds might help. i bought the same drive twice, kingston 120gb (forgot the model name). maybe this causes an issue