Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Cursor Jumping Back

Hi,

I posted before about my cursor jumping back and play back not starting from the correct place. I have been trying to solve this problem but the problem persists. I have trashed preferences and it didn't help.

Can Digi tell me, or where can I find a step by step, how to un-install Pro-Tools and do a clean re-install.

Pro-Tools HD2 Accel
Mac OS 10.4.8
Dual 2.5 gig
2 gig ram

Thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Cursor Jumping Back

Could you have "insertion follows playback" selected? I use Keyboard Focus and this happens to me if I accidentally hit the "N" key instead of "B" for separate region. Also go to the Options menu and make sure "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" is checked.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't matter if I have "insertion follows play back" selected or not. My cursor "jumps back" at least 3 out of 10 play back times. Even if I make a locator and then use the numeric keyboard to recall the memory location this "cursor jumping back" continues to happen. I trashed all prefs and started a brand new session with one track, no plugins, no video, nothing and the problem continues, It appears to be 100% random as I can not figure out a pattern of what makes it happen.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM

do you actually hear the audio thats before the insert point? on my rig, it seems like the cursor drops back about a frame or so and protools says 'pause' on the lower left corner of the edit screen until it reaches the insert point at which point it switches to play... i assume its buffering or something. i don't hear any of the audio that happens pre-insert point, so it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Yes, that is the main problem. I DO hear the audio of the "jump back" and makes it impossible to accurately cut dialogue. It happens at least 30% of the times and it is 100% related to the buffer size. at 256, it jumps back under a frame, at 512 exactly twice as much (or so it seems as I have no way of meassuring the absolute exact amount), and at 1024 twice as much again. This is gotta be a bug in Pro-Tools as I can clearly see/and change almost at will at least one of the factors that worsen the problem.

Thanks again