Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Inside of Pro Tools folder. Seeking opinions from Experts ASAP!

Hello, Pro Tools Experts,

We need help from experts about Pro Tools folder in Documents on the internal drive of Mac. We can not figure out this after downloaded PT 11 for a new computer.

The computer we have been using has folders are Grooves, IO Settings, Plug-In Maps, Plug-In Settings, Session Templates, Video Test Patterns in Pro Tools Folder of Documents.
But the new computer, we found only one folder that is "Plug-In Settings" in Pro Tools folder after we have downloaded PT11.
Also, AIR series are even missing from "Plug-In Settings folder."
Our question is why it is different from an original computer that we have downloaded PT11 at first place?

Why folders are missing?

We did copy and paste all other folders into Pro Tools folder of New computer from the old machine. Was it a right thing to do?

Should we copy and paste "Plug-In Settings folder" to "Documents" to replacing the new one to old one Because old folder has all our Plug-In settings?

We wish some of the Experts see this and give us ideas.

Thank you,
RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Pro Tools 11.3.1

Appreciate the Rescue from Experts,

A.Y.L
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Inside of Pro Tools folder. Seeking opinions from Experts ASAP!

1) can you open Pro Tools on the new Mac ?? if so did these folders appear ?? if so, are the AIR plugins installed ?? do you see them in pro tools ??
2) re-install PT 11.3.1 on the new computer ..
3) yes, i see the same as your old computer ie: Grooves, IO Settings, Plug-In Maps, Plug-In Settings, Session Templates, Video Test Patterns

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
1) can you open Pro Tools on the new Mac ?? if so did these folders appear ?? if so, are the AIR plugins installed ?? do you see them in pro tools ??
2) re-install PT 11.3.1 on the new computer ..
3) yes, i see the same as your old computer ie: Grooves, IO Settings, Plug-In Maps, Plug-In Settings, Session Templates, Video Test Patterns

Thank you john1192,
Appreciate your quick responce!

Our PT projects are on an external drive. So once we tested connected Mac with system and launched a PT project. It opened. But it wasn't a proper way. All plugs are random, and colors of trucks are the default, which is different from our setting.
We have looked for and inserted AIR EQ, and It appears. But there are no plugin settings that we have been working on.
So we figured out that we needed AIR Series inside of Plug-In Settings folder. So then we copied and pasted AIR Series from an external drive that we have saved that folder from the old computer.

When we see AIR plugs from Pro Tools, do you think we have installed AIR plugs that you have mentioned?
We have just a downloaded installer of PT11.3.1 from Avid site and installed it. Is there any other way that installing AIR plugs separately from PT11?

Do you think it was good that we have copied and pasted all other folders to PT folder in Documents?

Thanks for your help,
Pro Tools 11.3.1

A.Y.L
Old 08-20-2015, 02:59 AM

Hi

1/ check you're using an Admin user account
2/ repair your system drive permissions
3/ in Pro Tools Preferences, Operation Tab, check the location of the User Library root folder (which is actually the Pro Tools Settings Location, nothing to do with Sample Library)
- Please, before modifying the root location, be sure you have a copy (other location, USB Key, External drive, or other computer) before changing the root location.
- Then after hitting "Ok" (to quit Preferences), PT should ask you if you want to copy the old location content to the new location, or not (->will not copy nor delete anything, just change the location).
- Then quit Pro Tools and relaunch it to validate.

Quote:
When we see AIR plugs from Pro Tools, do you think we have installed AIR plugs that you have mentioned?
We have just a downloaded installer of PT11.3.1 from Avid site and installed it. Is there any other way that installing AIR plugs separately from PT11?
As far as I remind, AIR plug-ins are installed using a separate installer ("AIR Creative Collection" installer) but I don't remind if it contains both AIR FX and Instrument or only AIR Instruments (and if AIR FX are installed with PT11.3 installer like PT10.3 installer).

Quote:
Do you think it was good that we have copied and pasted all other folders to PT folder in Documents?
It depends. If your other computer had the exact same Pro Tools 11 installation version (11.3.1), then replacing the installation files by the back-up ones should be Ok.

But, personally, what I did just after PT11 installation is to choose/check the location I want (with copy option), then copy only the settings I want from my older PT11 system (IO settings + Session Templates).
I don't touch the "Plug-In Settings" folder because it should be installed when installing/updating Pro Tools or plug-ins (with factory presets) while my personal user settings are stored within each session's folder (see below, at the end). I just copy shared settings (reverb) one by one, when I have some.

If you still don't have the proper plug-in settings, you can either re-install the plug-ins (recommended) and/or copy missing settings from your older computer manually (but be careful that OS X's copy doesn't merge datas, it will override every file and subfolders of the same name). So if your plug-in settings folder contain personal user settings, it is safer to copy them one by one in each plug-in setting subfolder.

Last advice :
Normally, the root "Plug-Ins Settings" folder (inside Documents/Pro Tools) is there to store factory presets or share common user settings (ie : reverb settings), user Plug-ins setting (ie : EQ, COMP, etc..) should be saved within the session plug-in folder so that you can move your projects without having any issues. If you use a shared user setting, it is better to make a copy in you session folder.

Open a plug-in window, use the preset menu and go to Settings Preferences->Save Plug-ins Setting To->Session Folder

This setting is global for all session of this computer (you can temporally get back to "Root Folder" if you want to make shared user settings but I greatly recommend to keep using "Session Folder" all the time). Pro Tools will create a "Plug-Ins Setting" subfolder in each PT session as soon as you save a user preset (and of course, each plug-in will have a subfolder too).
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 AM

In addition, the default Pro Tools setting root location should be :

[SystemHDD]/Users/[Login]/Documents/Pro Tools

and should contain those folders :

Documentation
Grooves
IO Settings
Plug-In Maps
Plug-In Settings
Session Templates
Video Test Patterns

EDIT : john1192 already mentioned the folder content, sorry for the double post

Last edited by demodigi; 08-20-2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: EDIT : john1192 already mentioned the folder content, sorry for the double post
Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodigi View Post
Hi

1/ check you're using an Admin user account
2/ repair your system drive permissions
3/ in Pro Tools Preferences, Operation Tab, check the location of the User Library root folder (which is actually the Pro Tools Settings Location, nothing to do with Sample Library)
- Please, before modifying the root location, be sure you have a copy (other location, USB Key, External drive, or other computer) before changing the root location.
- Then after hitting "Ok" (to quit Preferences), PT should ask you if you want to copy the old location content to the new location, or not (->will not copy nor delete anything, just change the location).
- Then quit Pro Tools and relaunch it to validate.

As far as I remind, AIR plug-ins are installed using a separate installer ("AIR Creative Collection" installer) but I don't remind if it contains both AIR FX and Instrument or only AIR Instruments (and if AIR FX are installed with PT11.3 installer like PT10.3 installer).

It depends. If your other computer had the exact same Pro Tools 11 installation version (11.3.1), then replacing the installation files by the back-up ones should be Ok.

But, personally, what I did just after PT11 installation is to choose/check the location I want (with copy option), then copy only the settings I want from my older PT11 system (IO settings + Session Templates).
I don't touch the "Plug-In Settings" folder because it should be installed when installing/updating Pro Tools or plug-ins (with factory presets) while my personal user settings are stored within each session's folder (see below, at the end). I just copy shared settings (reverb) one by one, when I have some.

If you still don't have the proper plug-in settings, you can either re-install the plug-ins (recommended) and/or copy missing settings from your older computer manually (but be careful that OS X's copy doesn't merge datas, it will override every file and subfolders of the same name). So if your plug-in settings folder contain personal user settings, it is safer to copy them one by one in each plug-in setting subfolder.

Last advice :
Normally, the root "Plug-Ins Settings" folder (inside Documents/Pro Tools) is there to store factory presets or share common user settings (ie : reverb settings), user Plug-ins setting (ie : EQ, COMP, etc..) should be saved within the session plug-in folder so that you can move your projects without having any issues. If you use a shared user setting, it is better to make a copy in you session folder.

Open a plug-in window, use the preset menu and go to Settings Preferences->Save Plug-ins Setting To->Session Folder

This setting is global for all session of this computer (you can temporally get back to "Root Folder" if you want to make shared user settings but I greatly recommend to keep using "Session Folder" all the time). Pro Tools will create a "Plug-Ins Setting" subfolder in each PT session as soon as you save a user preset (and of course, each plug-in will have a subfolder too).

Bonjour demodigi,

Thank you for the kind and professional advice!

Could you explain about your advice #3? What is it you are recommending us to do? (Sorry, we don't understand)

We have downloaded PT11.3.1 and AIR Creative Collection 11.1 Installer for PT 11.x (Mac) (2.3 GB) .
Although after we downloaded those, could not find AIR plugin settings in plugin settings folder and all other folders like Documentation, Grooves, IO Settings, etc... So that we posted for help here. (but we have them right now because we brought them from old computer )
But we have to test launch PT to make sure if they work.

The rest, We will follow your advice and test them step by step, and we will ask you question when we had it.

Thank you,
Pro Tools 11.3.1

A.Y.L
Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
We have downloaded PT11.3.1 and AIR Creative Collection 11.1 Installer for PT 11.x (Mac) (2.3 GB) .
Although after we downloaded those, could not find AIR plugin settings in plugin settings folder and all other folders like Documentation, Grooves, IO Settings, etc... So that we posted for help here. (but we have them right now because we brought them from old computer )
First check if all plug-ins are correctly installed here (especially the 20 AIR FX plug-ins and the 6 AIR Instruments) :

"/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins"

Also check if "/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins (Unused)" is empty (if it does contain missing plug-ins, move them back to "/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins")

If some plug-ins are missing, try re-installing plug-ins using AIR Creative Collection installer.

Quote:
Could you explain about your advice #3? What is it you are recommending us to do? (Sorry, we don't understand)
Well, I was just telling you to check whether Pro Tools is pointing at the right location for the "Root Library" folder, or not.

The default root folder for user settings (just after Pro Tools installation) should be :
"Users/[login]/Documents/Pro Tools" (I will call it "Documents/Pro Tools" from now on)
(Note : replace name between brackets by your own HDD name and login name)

But it seems that your installation failed at some point (it might happen if permissions were incorrect when you installed either Pro Tools and/or AIR plugins, or if you didn't install Pro Tools within a administrator account).

As you mentioned, the folder above seems to be empty on your new mac (at least, before you copied your own settings) which is abnormal but can be cured without re-installing Pro Tools.

What I suggest :
1/ repair system HDD permissions (safer)
2/ Backup your older settings :
- make sure "Documents/Pro Tools" is empty
- if not (because you copied your older settings), move (not copy) those settings in another location
(ie : create a folder called "PT_Backup" outside of the "Documents/Pro Tools" Folder and move your settings in it ; this folder can remain in "Documents" if you want)

3/ Change Root Library folder :
- launch Pro Tools, open "Preferences", tab "Operation"
- on the bottom left, there is a "User Library" Part, clic on "Change" and select :
/Users/[login]/Documents/Pro Tools

- clic "Ok" to validate and close the Preferences : Pro Tools will ask you whether you want to copy old setting from an older "path" -> hit "No"
- quit Pro Tools
- launch Pro Tools again : at least 6 out of the 7 folders I mentioned in my previous post should be recreated automatically* inside "Documents/Pro Tools".
The last one ("Plug-Ins Settings") may or may not be recreated (I don't know why and how).

*if subfolders still don't appear (we must force updating prefs) :
- create a empty temporary folder (ie : "/Documents/PT_temp")
- select this temp folder as the root library folder (see step 3/)
- check if now, subfolders have been correctly recreated
- redo step 3/ but now, select the actual root library folder (=> "/Documents/Pro Tools") and see if subfolders have now been recreated too
- delete temp folder

4/ Manual copy :
- Check if "Documents/Pro Tools/Plug-Ins Settings" folder exists, and if all subfolder for each plug-in also exist.
- if NOT -> you must manually copy your "Plug-Ins Settings" folder (from the "PT_Backup" folder to "Documents/Pro Tools" folder) OR a particular Plug-in setting (folder or file) if some folders or file settings are MISSING (AIR plug-in settings for example)
- you can also copy your older templates, IO settings, etc if you want (copy them in their respective folders)

For your preferences (colors, etc), they are not saved inside the root library folder (but in the pref files). However, it is better to set up Pro Tools Preferences manually rather than copying prefs files from one computer to another (you could get erratic behaviors).

BTW, track colors should be saved within the session but maybe your PT Preferences are different :
- check in "Preferences/Display"-> "Color Coding" part (for default settings)
- and in menu "Windows->Color Palette" -> make sure Colors are activated (icon just on the left of the "saturation" slide).

NB : please put your system infos in your signature (computer, OS version, PT version), would be helpful to help...

Last edited by demodigi; 08-20-2015 at 04:40 PM.