Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Reverse selection end move command (R.S.E.M.C.)?

To shorten a selection of a track, I shift-click with the selector tool inside the selections, to where I want the new selection end point to be.

Now, If I want to shorten a selection by more then 50% of it’s size, I have to click the far end of the selection and drag back through the mid point of the original selection, to where I want the new selection end point to be. Some times I am zoomed in on the track and I can’t get to that far end point to drag back. Is there a keyboard command to tell PTs that I want to change the opposite end point of my shift–clicked selection? Yikes. Let’s try again…

Here is an example. I have a selected audio track which starts at 1:00 min and ends at 2:00 min. Now I want to change the selection time to 1:00 to 1:15. I must Shift-Click the selection tool some where between 1:30 and 2:00 and drag back to 1:15, which is fine most of the time. The problem comes if I am zoomed in and can’t see 1:30 and 2:00 on the screen. Instead of zooming out, is there a keyboard command that will reverse which end of the selection I can move.

Thanks a bunch, and congrats to anyone who understands what I’m asking!!! -Mick
Old 05-03-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Reverse selection end move command (R.S.E.M.C.)?

Whew, I'll take a shot...<g>

Perhaps you're not aware that you can change the selection size with *keyboard commands* - I think this will make you're life easier.

Make a selection. shift-option-nudge keys will adjust the left side, shift-command-nudge keys will adjust the right side.

Also, if you have a 2:00 selection and want to make it 1:30 (trimming the tail), click the / key on the keypad three times (taking you to the "length" field), use the cursor arrows to get you to the "seconds" field, enter "minus", then 30, hit enter twice, and you're shortened your selection by 30 seconds.

You can use any of the three fields depending on what you want to do. You can change the start time by +30 seconds if you want to shorten the front.

Of course, for small increments, the key commands work best.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Reverse selection end move command (R.S.E.M.C.)?

If I understand your question this should help.
Hold down option while using trimmer tool.
This will flip it, always has! Hopefully they haven't changed this in 6.0, can't imagine they would.
Don't post much here, too busy holding down the option key!!!