Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Anyone running a Westmere MacPro yet?

Thank you so much Luke!

I had few glitch with PT8.0.3 and then 8.0.4 (complete Freeze of the Mac Pro)... so I wasn't sure about my setup.

Since I'm in the middle of nothing, I just completely reinstall OS X and install PT9 in the mean time... so, I hope it will run fine now :)

I will let you know without any doubt!

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate...

Phil
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidouz View Post
Thank you so much Luke!

I had few glitch with PT8.0.3 and then 8.0.4 (complete Freeze of the Mac Pro)... so I wasn't sure about my setup.

Since I'm in the middle of nothing, I just completely reinstall OS X and install PT9 in the mean time... so, I hope it will run fine now :)

I will let you know without any doubt!

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate...

Phil
Currently I have RTAS set to 6 processors (i.e. half the available logical processors). Seems to work fine.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Hey guys...boy is getting complicated to buy a computer.

I have the Mac Pro 2.2.8 Quad Core Xeon, I think that's the second year Mac Pro.

If I wanted something noticeably faster and better for those using VI's, what would be the best Mac Pro to go to for PT while still to be somewhat economically sensible?

Thanks
T
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Just sitting and installing everything om my new computer: Westmere 12-core 2.93 GHz, 14 gig ram PT 9. When I boot up in 64-bit ProTools works, but it takes ages to initialize all plugs etc. Only work around is 32-bit.

Strange, since 64-bit seems to work for some ppl here.

Robert
Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 AM

8 core 2.4 Westmere running in 64bit mode. PT9

Works great. Same problems with VI's as my other MacPros so I have two slaves. One running Kontakt lightpipe out and the other running VEPro. Sweet system and PT no longer has to be "inconvenienced" with running instruments.

The sad part is the additional computer expense. The good part is that should by HD3 system ever crap out, I would go native and not have to spend a fortune on all the cards.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Is a 2010 Westmere 6 core 3.33 GHz with 16GB RAM better/faster, does it allow more RTAS plugins than a 2008 Harpertown quad-core 3 GHz with 12 GB RAM. The first one has only one processor the second (older one) two?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM

Hey Ron, just wondering why you're using one with VE Pro, and one with lightpipe. Any specific reason?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Hey Ron, just wondering why you're using one with VE Pro, and one with lightpipe. Any specific reason?
My 2 year old MacPro has a HDSPe AIO so I run kontakt standalone with that computer that comes up 4 stereo channels in the new mac pro.

The year old Mac Pro runs VEPro so I can run a ton of channels (midi and audio) on that computer via ethernet to the new mac pro.

It's a flawless system now. PT9 only crashes once in a while now. Suddenly quits. Probably a plugin although I'm very careful to only run the latest versions.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
Hey guys...boy is getting complicated to buy a computer.

I have the Mac Pro 2.2.8 Quad Core Xeon, I think that's the second year Mac Pro.

If I wanted something noticeably faster and better for those using VI's, what would be the best Mac Pro to go to for PT while still to be somewhat economically sensible?

Thanks
T
I guess there is no easy answer to that question right now. I compared the 8core 2010 Dual 2.4Ghz to my 2008 8core 2.8Ghz and they had exactly the same max performance under Logic Pro 9 at a buffer size of 256 or 512 samples. If you want to go low-latency (128 or 64 samples) the 2010 machine will deliver better results. But in terms of max. performance, I think it makes more sense to wait another 6 months and hope for Apple to switch to the new Sandybridge Xeon architecture quickly. Supposedly that is going to bring the long awaited performance boost.