Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2002, 01:36 AM

Default Drum machines / modules

Hi

What type or make of drum machines or modules
are you guys using. I am planning on buying
one and don't really know which route to go.
My type of music is mostly contemporary gospel. Also what is the difference between
a drum "machine" and a drum "module". I'm still learning.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2002, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Drum machines / modules

Viljoen, with a drum machine you can sequence drum patterns without the need of any external hardware...they are pretty much self-contained. A drum module however, is basically a sample bank that you usually have to have connected to an electronic drum kit or one that is triggered to produce the sounds that are programmed in that module

My preferred method to drum sequencing is to sample / hunt down samples of drums (sometimes mixing in rather odd things under neither the drum tones once they are loaded into protools. maybe a cigarette lighter sound under a high hat or yaknow...whatever), importing them into protools, and snapping them onto the grid. This method works rather well for me. If that rout doesn't sound like one you want to take...you can't go wrong with a BOSS drum machine. Hope that helps/makes sense.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:23 AM

I have the Boss Dr-770(drum machine) and the Alesis Dm-Pro(drum module). I get alot of use out of both of them but if I had to give one up it would probably be the Dr-770 because I do all of my sequencing in PTLE.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 03-15-2002, 06:03 AM

I have an old Roland R-8 Drum Machine that I used for my electronic drum kit. The sounds are still decent but I prefer to use pro-tools grid mode and some good samples to lay out any patterns or drum sequences. I typically just record real-time but there are times when I can't. The end product is much better if you have good samples to work with.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:15 AM

Please help.

I have been trying for a couple of weeks now to get my old Alesis SR16 Drum Tracks into PTLE.

I have about 100 4, 6, or 8 beat patches. I would like to be able to pull them all into PTLE as regions.

The problem is that the timeing is allways off. I could go through and edit each one so that the timeing was right, but that would take a lot of time, besides some of those took days to get the feel just right.

I enabled midi beat track. I have tried just about every permutation of settings on the SR16.

I am at a compleate loss. Please Help.

Jan

Aditional...

When I do record the midi all the hits have an X in them. Why?

How can I keep PTLE from sending midi play to the SR? Every time Itry to play a region I get the SR patch playing at the same time as the hits from PTLE.

*sigh*
Old 03-15-2002, 11:16 AM

sorry okion...I would help if I could but I don't record midi using protools. Trusty MPC! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Come On guys...some one help him!

citi
Old 03-15-2002, 01:17 PM

Yes, I know, but I don't have a clue what the problem might be, and further I'm not even sure how to debug it.

I tool the easy way out and bought a library of patterns to start working with... Some of what I got is worthwhile. I'll let you know more...

Take care,
Mark
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by citi:
sorry okion...I would help if I could but I don't record midi using protools. Trusty MPC! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Come On guys...some one help him!

citi
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-15-2002, 02:32 PM

Yea, that's cool, but these are my own patterns.

Anyone know what an X in the note means?
Old 03-15-2002, 03:17 PM

Hey Viljoen, I just finished a contemporary gospel CD. On the vocal side it's kinda like Kim Burrell, but on the music side I blend some deep jazz chord changes in with some neo-soul type of grooves.
Please check out Battery for some real hot drum sounds. It's a great way to go because you can always add new sounds as you find them. If you have the dough the MPC2000 xl is a great hardware Drum machine/sampler.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:35 PM

I have used drum machines for years. I have recently started using drum loops and putting them together in Acid Pro. I'm sold on the loops now. Drag & Drop Drummer combined with Acid is a great way to go. Check out www.smartloops.com