Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Firewire Midi Solution

Does anyone know of a product that is a simple Firewire based MIDI interface? No audio, no frills, just two midi ports in and two midi ports out, running off firewire. Currently, I use the MOTU USB Fastlane for my Midi and the Mbox 1 for my audio. I would love to find something like a firewire version of the fastlane so I can free up a USB port. Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Firewire Midi Solution

I'd suggest getting a USB hub.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM

I own a couple USB hubs. They're basically useless to me because midi through a usb hub will suffer horrible lag or not work at all. Similarly the Mbox wont run though a hub.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM

What about adding a USB card to the computer? Do you have enough USB ports to put all your other devices on a hub and give your MIDI interface and Mbox their own ports?

I'm asking because I don't recall of any FireWire MIDI interfaces.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm running off a macbook pro, which only has 2 USB ports, so there's no way to dedicate a port for a hub. The Mbox and my Motu fastlane use up my ports. I uhave an external keyboard with protools shortcuts on it that I use when I make music. Currently, I have to unplug that keyboard any time I want to plug in the Motu to record midi and sometimes i have to quit and reopen protools. I'm not sure if they make a usb card for the macbook pro expansion slot. It would probably be expensive if they did. I just thought maybe someone made a firewire solution. I guess not.