Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Question Need help...advice on desktop PC recording computer.

I was wondering if anybody out there can recommend a good/no frills desktop starter computer that I should buy (I can only afford about $1,000 right now), with room for expansion. I know I need firewire with pro tools, and I already have an external firewire (with texas chip). I would like a PC, as it's what I've been recording on for the past years.

I'd like to add that I'm not usually recording with a lot of tracks. 20 at the most...with minimal effects. So my needs are very much those of an amateur (which I am). I use the mbox.

I posted this question on a different section here, and was told:

If you're only doing about 20 tracks you have lots of options, including macs. The new minis would no doubt cover that and be in your price range. Well unless you use lots of VI's which it doesn't sound like you do. My almost 5 year old core2duo MacBook pro can easily run sessions like that. So any newer Mac with an I-series processor should def meet your needs IMO.

That said I've been looking at some of the tiger direct build to order pc's. They have a tower you can build with FireWire and spec out with 8GB of ram and an i7-2600 proc for just under $1000. It's got an intel mobo so I'd think it would work but, if you decide to go that route, def ask about it in the windows section first.[/SIZE]
[/I]

Does the computer suggested above sound like something that could work?

I apologize if this is not the appropriate area to post this. If there's a better place, please let me know. I'm just trying to wade through everything so I can get myself in a position to record again.

Thank you