Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2023, 12:00 PM

Default 4 or 5k monitor

I'll be switching to a refurbished M1 next week (20 core, 48 core, 64Gb)

Do you have any recommendations for a cheap monitor. As a musician I don't need true colours or fancy graphic stuff. What do I have to pay attention to? I will be running M1 native (no rosetta).

My idea was to use a thunderbolt port for the monitor because I want to connect a consumer TV for scoring movies to the HDMI port.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:05 PM

Default Re: 4 or 5k monitor

Pro Tools only supports up to 1080p, however, I run a 4K and it’s fine. At native resolution text can be hard to read but scaling is helpful.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:12 AM

If you are using Mac OS, 5k is the way to go: The display scaling is the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZO-tfsQ-A

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 09-24-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
If you are using Mac OS, 5k is the way to go: The display scaling is the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZO-tfsQ-A
His summary was that scaling is essentially transparent, meaning that there's no downside to using 4K monitors w/ Mac OS. This echos my experience with monitors. I have a 4K, and scale up to a larger size, and there's no hit to my Mac Studio. It's not an issue.

5K monitors are still more expensive and tougher to find, and there's essentially no advantage to their higher resolution at practical distances. It's only when you get unusually close or zoom in unnaturally that you'll see the extra resolution. My monitor is 2 or 3 feet away and my eyes can't detect any extra detail in 5K vs. 4K.

I have settled on a 4K (a Dell) and it functions swimmingly. No performance issues. No lost detail. Works great with PT and games.

I would suggest using a DisplayPort instead of HDMI -- with HDMI I experienced slight lag and it also wouldn't allow the monitor's maximum refresh rate.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:51 PM

I have used LG monitors on Macs for a long while. One of my software development clients use them with the developers MacBook Pros, etc. after doing a comparison of different monitors. So LG is where I'd first look, and the current 27" lower priced options from them is:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27BR750C-C.../dp/B0C64SBC8B
https://www.lg.com/us/business/compu.../lg-27br750c-c

I have not use that exact version but have used what it repalced.

One comment is in the initial post the OP says "thunderbolt port". Just to be clear you don't need a Thunderbolt monitor. You need a compatible monitor, and that for more cost affordable current monitors will include monitors with USB-C connections that support DisplayPort over USB-C. As in the model above. The monitor specs should mention if they support Mac or at least mention DisplayPort aka "DP" over USB-C. You also have the option of using an Apple conversion dongle or one of many types of Thunderbolt or USB-C docks or hubs (but go Thunderbolt there) to add an additional HDMI connection.

If saving cost is important I'd stick with 4K monitors.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:34 PM

I’m using a Dell Ultrasharp 27 “4k” UHD. Scaling is good.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...or-accessories

A 5k monitor isn’t cheap. Over a grand and closer to $1500 for something decent. Or more.

What most manufacturers call 4k (4096x2160) are technically UHD (3840x2160) though for what we do the extra 256 horizontal pixels won’t matter. Figure $400-500 for a lower end UHD with a USB C hub. Mine was $700 or so.

Thunderbolt video is simply Display Port down that wire. Any name brand UHD display with a USB-C video input will work with your Mac. Some will provide power down that port to be able to power/charge a laptop. I find that handy and also to use the USB hub as a dock.

You’d likely be fine with an HD (1920x1080) for a couple hun. You likely won’t find one with USB C input that cheap (or at all) but you can get a DP dongle for $20-30 or so.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
I'll be switching to a refurbished M1 next week (20 core, 48 core, 64Gb)

Do you have any recommendations for a cheap monitor. As a musician I don't need true colours or fancy graphic stuff. What do I have to pay attention to? I will be running M1 native (no rosetta).

My idea was to use a thunderbolt port for the monitor because I want to connect a consumer TV for scoring movies to the HDMI port.
USB C is the way to go in my experience with the M1 mini. HDMI caused me many problems.

Have you considered a cost effective UltraWide monitor i.e. more pixels horizontally? If you are concerned with running Pro Tools which screen view do you use? If you mix in the arrange page they more tracks can been seen (vertically) so go for more pixels there.

Personally I am old school and like to use the mixer view to mix! The extra real estate vertically might be largely wasted in a 4 or 5k monitor.

For none Pro Tools use the ultra wide monitor is good with one window on the left and another on the right simultaneously. I am using a LG at 2560x1080 (UW-UXGA - Ultra Wide - Ultra Extended Graphics Array). It not perfect but is cost effective and does me fine.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6