Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2015, 01:52 AM

Default S3 newbie questions

* The transport controls are on a shift key? I can't understand the logic here, particularly when the unshifted version doesn't do anything. Transport is pretty fundamental. Also the touch strip zones seem to need a fair bit of pressure to actuate.

* Switching between Edit/Mix is also on a shift key and unlike on a regular keyboard, cannot be done with one hand (unless you have massive hands).

I suppose these things don't matter because it seems the S3 is designed to be used with a keyboard or an Artist Transport, but they do seem like strange design decisions.

Oh, and I miss those ProControl faders
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Default Re: S3 newbie questions

I'm afraid you've only scratched the surface of bad designs on the S3...

Quote:
* The transport controls are on a shift key? I can't understand the logic here, particularly when the unshifted version doesn't do anything. Transport is pretty fundamental. Also the touch strip zones seem to need a fair bit of pressure to actuate.
just imagine the many things you could do with a touch strip...
... zoom, navigate, fader banking, scrub (maybe that would make sense with the shift key)

Quote:
* Switching between Edit/Mix is also on a shift key and unlike on a regular keyboard, cannot be done with one hand (unless you have massive hands).
you better don't have massive hands otherwise you will never be able to use the fader "sel" buttons without touching a fader...

Quote:
Oh, and I miss those ProControl faders
if the S3 faders are not stuck, I think they are quite okay (the same as on the Artist Mix, I'm sure) ... but not even close the ProControl faders.
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
I'm afraid you've only scratched the surface of bad designs on the S3...
It definitely looks better than the ProControl and has the advantage of fitting between keyboard and screen (at least on my desk), and I'm sure it will grow on me once I've used it a bit more. My first impression though is that the abstraction of EuCon, and the fact it was originally a live desk (in terms of switch labelling), make it a deal less intuitive to sit down at than the ProControl.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:23 PM

My 2 cents(please take it that way). The S3 was designed as a live mixing surface first and the Pro Tools connection was somewhat of an afterthought(opinion based on it first hitting the market as part of the S3L digital live mixing package) and they could/should have done a few things differently(I suspect the original design paradigm was done by mostly live engineers).

Having said that, after watching some tutorial/demo videos, its actually a lot cooler than I originally thought(IOW, I am actually considering one for future purchase). The question(for me) is, is it a better choice than 2 Artist Mix units and an Artist Transport for half the money At the very least, I think it needs some stickers or an overlay to ID some buttons...

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My 2 cents(please take it that way). The S3 was designed as a live mixing surface first and the Pro Tools connection was somewhat of an afterthought(opinion based on it first hitting the market as part of the S3L digital live mixing package) and they could/should have done a few things differently(I suspect the original design paradigm was done by mostly live engineers).

Having said that, after watching some tutorial/demo videos, its actually a lot cooler than I originally thought(IOW, I am actually considering one for future purchase). The question(for me) is, is it a better choice than 2 Artist Mix units and an Artist Transport for half the money At the very least, I think it needs some stickers or an overlay to ID some buttons...
+1
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM

I got an S3 as part of the S3L-X package. It's starting to grow on me in the studio. There is definitely a learning curve here, Avid really should continue to make how to videos for it, or partner with users to make some.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
The S3 was designed as a live mixing surface first and the Pro Tools connection was somewhat of an afterthought
I don't own the rest of the live package, so I can't comment on how well that is working, but the part inside the S3 that is not EuCon (the monitor section)
is designed in a very nice way.
The rest of the S3 UI is all taken from the Artist Mix, with bigger buttons and some extra buttons.

So until Aivd improves the UI of the S3, the Artist Mix/Transport combo is the better choice...

Old 03-01-2015, 05:55 PM

A couple more questions.

* Is it possible to activate/deactivate plugins from the surface?

* Is there VCA spill?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
* Is it possible to activate/deactivate plugins from the surface?
you can't do that in ProTools at all. You either bypass or delete the insert or you can set the track inactive. the first two you can do from the S3 (not sure about deleting, but adding works)

Quote:
* Is there VCA spill?
no.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
you can't do that in ProTools at all. You either bypass or delete the insert or you can set the track inactive. the first two you can do from the S3 (not sure about deleting, but adding works)

no.

Cmd ctrl click plugin = deactivate
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -