Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Default Cannot find/record midi CC data

Hey there everyone, appreciate any light you might be able to shed on this..

I have some controller data (volume) that resides in NI maschine, that i would like to send to a midi track in PT 10. I have maschine set to send this automation on midi channel 14, and i have set up a midi track in PT to record from channel 14, maschine out. When i record, i get all the note data on channel 14, but i cannot find the volume automation CC data. First i checked the "volume" drop down on the midi track in PT, seeing it not there I literally looked at each 128 controllers but the volume data was not recorded.

Where would this midi event data end up, and why does it seem that i am not able to record the CC data?

I am using 10.3.9 on osx mountain lion. Please let me know if you need any more information from me. And, Thanks!!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Cannot find/record midi CC data

I'm not familiar with maschine so can't help much on that side but on the PT side I would check your MIDI filters. Go to Setup>MIDI>Input Filters and check how it is configured. All except aftertouch is the default, but you should ensure none of your controllers have been omitted.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 AM

Also look in the MIDI event list for CC7 (volume) messages. Make sure in the view filter for this window you have it visible.

QAPLA!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 PM

Hey Suicune + Musicman, I checked the filterbut as you can see it is set up correctly. Same goes for the midi event list. Its not coming through and i don't know why. I have followed the maschine manual to a T. This is really quite frustrating as i have learned that volume automation is not copy/pasteable in Maschine and i need my volume draws in PT to edit them. I came to DUC because maschine forum has not been able to help. ill keep hope alive though…and likely call NI support tomorrow just hoping for another idea.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM

kindkind:
Something to get is a MIDI monitor utility; they're available for both Mac and Windows machines and are usually free, or at least donationware/shareware. For Windows there's MIDIOX at: http://www.midiox.com/ and for Macs there's snoize at: http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ Both are good and they will, when set up correctly, show you the MIDI messages going from Maschine in your case to the computer. Can run standalone so PT isn't involved. Running this will at least allow you to see if Maschine is indeed sending out MIDI cc7 messages (as well as what other messages it's sending out). CC7 is the standard MIDI controller message for volume and is not to be confused with cc11 which is MIDI expression which can also affect volume.

Don't waste your time with NI support - they are not prompt in getting back to you and at least in my case, have been known to give incorrect information or not even understand the issue. Strange you weren't able to get an answer from the NI forums but it happens; there's not a lot of PT users there but a lot of Cubase people.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Edit---
Well, I did manage to get midimonitor to pick up the maschine note data, but no automation….so it looks like a fault with maschine, plus i called NI support and they told me something incorrect, go figure Musicman!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
Edit---
Well, I did manage to get midimonitor to pick up the maschine note data, but no automation….so it looks like a fault with maschine, plus i called NI support and they told me something incorrect, go figure Musicman!
Typical NI support
Sucks no automation coming from Maschine. Wonder if they'll have this kind of stuff ironed out with that new controller coming with Komplete 10?

QAPLA!