Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Default HDX to Native?

I was a happy HD3 user for a long time.
However, I kind of felt the pressure to switch to either the HDX or the Native system before my HD3's value goes down the drain.
Well, I've been enjoying the HDX system for the last couple of months, but the AAX DSP plug in support is pretty sluggish from most of the manufacturers.
I've been researching about the UAD 2 cards, and they seem very interesting.
So, here is what I've been wondering.
Would you go from the HDX system to the HD Native with a UAD 2 Quad card?
I'm pretty tempted to do it right now.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM

Default Re: HDX to Native?

Yes
I would never own another DSP system again after my HD4.Native is the way to go with computers getting faster & faster.If i did major film scoring with a 1 to 2 hour timelines then i could see it.But for music productions recording bands Native is the way.So in a year or so i buy a new Mobo & Cpu and i'm right back in the game.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 PM

I’ve used both HDX and Native. For music production I agree that the Native card will do most everything you need, but there is still something to be said for never having to consider record latency with plug-ins on the record track. More DSP plug-ins will come as we get closer to PT11. Also HEAT is not available with Native, if that matters to you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Ghost View Post
Yes
I would never own another DSP system again after my HD4.Native is the way to go with computers getting faster & faster.If i did major film scoring with a 1 to 2 hour timelines then i could see it.But for music productions recording bands Native is the way.So in a year or so i buy a new Mobo & Cpu and i'm right back in the game.
You do realize that UAD is a dsp system?

Wave-T.com
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM

It is until it enters ProTools and then it's basically Native in the PT domain. The UAD box processes the plugin then passes the info to the ProTools environment which loads it up as RTAS.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM

I went from PT9 with a raydat card to HDn. The raydat system worked flawlessly and for the first time I was able to get my cpu up in the 70-80 percent range.

I didn't like my convertors so I thought I'd pick up HDn. Couldn't get nearly the same before CPU errors crept in (30-40% CPU). So then I realized I loved the AVID convertors but needed more horsepower so I bought HDX with an 888 out right and sold the Native card (kept the OMNI).

Point of story, the best "native" system I had did not involve AVID hardware.

My needs however require overdubbing with back tracks that have been polished a bit so I like to sort of work on the production while I go.

If I dropped HDx I'd try another RME card but with better convertors.

I do think for AVID to survive, PT11 better be able to run a lot of stuff Including VI's without with CPU errors. If the can't do that with AAX then I'll just run HDx until it's time to switch.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
It is until it enters ProTools and then it's basically Native in the PT domain. The UAD box processes the plugin then passes the info to the ProTools environment which loads it up as RTAS.
Kind of funny cause everywhere I looked at the docs and specs in the past, the plugs were run on the card just like the HDX system. Meaning the audio signal was routed from the HDD to the dsp card chips and back, exactly how the hd and hdx system works.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 PM

Correct, if going native is the goal, don´t bother with UAD2. It is the opposite of "native". It introduces huge latency in your system. To have a usable native system you need to go with 32 samples latency. UAD2 only plays nice with a latency setting of 256 samples.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM

I have HD Native and would not even THINK of going to it, good as it is...from HDX.

HDX is the ultimate.

TH
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
I have HD Native and would not even THINK of going to it, good as it is...from HDX.

HDX is the ultimate.

TH
Pretty much.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com