Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Default Vanilla Post Production, help me to decide

Perhaps you can help me to make my decision. I've been thinking of switching back to Pro Tools from Digital Performer. I've been using DP for ten years. Before that I was very familiar to PT. I love DP, but it would sometimes be good to have projects made with industrial standard.

I've been studying PT again with Vanilla 10. If there would be a Pro Tools 11 CPTK, I'm sure I'd make the switch. But I don't need a new hardware (HD/HDX) because I only do editing/mixing (mostly reality TV-series). At the moment I don't even need a surround. So it wouldn't feel very smart to buy a new Avid hardware just for getting a few extra features. Although those missing features are all included in DP. After all editing is fast with both softwares but somehow I like more PT's simplicity.

Soon I will start many projects and those TV-series are going to take the rest of this year. I have to make a decision between PT (Vanilla I think) and DP. I want to use one software for all the projects (easier for key commands etc).
Will I survive if I start to work with Pro Tools Vanilla? Mostly I think I would miss an option to use multiple video tracks and some HD only automation features.

I would love to hear your opinions. Is anyone here using Native version for post production? Am I just torturing myself with all those Native limitations?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Lightbulb Re: Vanilla Post Production, help me to decide

Buy v10 and CPTK while you can. This will allow you to upgrade to HD11 without having to own AVID hardware.

I have an HD license without AVID hardware. It wasn't so much for the automation features. The biggest drawback of Vanilla for my own projects was being limited to a single video clip in the clip list.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Vanilla Post Production, help me to decide

I already have a Vanilla 10 and I bought it after April 7, 2013. So I will get a free update for 11. I've been thinking of buying Ebay CPTK, but I'm little bit worried what happens after 11. Am I forced to buy HW to get version 12..?
This Avid World seems to be so complicated. :I
Old 06-03-2013, 04:36 AM

So.. just ordered PTHDN/OMNI. After all there could be too many limitations/confusions in Vanilla for a real work. Also I don't have to think what will happen after 11.
Beware, there will be many question until I'm free from DP workflow.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
So.. just ordered PTHDN/OMNI. After all there could be too many limitations/confusions in Vanilla for a real work. Also I don't have to think what will happen after 11.
Beware, there will be many question until I'm free from DP workflow.
Good idea.
When you want absolute frame accuracy for your quicktime picture you need a SYNC I/O locked to your Blackmagic video. So, just for that tine little serial connector on the OMNI to connect it to a SYNC IO you have to buy that interface...