Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Default Sync-offset issues when recording with external equipment

Any tips on how to reduce Sync-offset? I print audio from an MPC 1000, enable a 2 bar pre-roll and generally use a click to determine the offset measurement. The problem is each offset measurement is different, even after using that offset measurement under 'midi beat clock'. Recently bought an Innerlock Sync-Gen 2 Pro to rectify this problem, but still having sync offset issues.

I might also add that my external HDD is daisy chained to my audio interface via FireWire 400. My MacBook only has one FireWire port.

MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008)
2.4 ghz / 4GB RAM
Pro Tools 10.3.2
RME Fire-face 800
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Sync-offset issues when recording with external equipment

So, your goal is to bring the MPC 1000 tracks to PT, right? You have to do that in pairs because of the 2 channel SPdif out, right?
You connect midi TC out to midi in on the RME, and slave PT to that, right?

What i understand is that every pass has a slightly different sync. I can't test it here since i have no MTC here, but i believe to think that MTC is not that precise.

Is it an idea that every run you make, you start and/or end with a click and manually slide the recorded tracks in sample accurate sync position?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokke van Saane View Post
So, your goal is to bring the MPC 1000 tracks to PT, right? You have to do that in pairs because of the 2 channel SPdif out, right?
You connect midi TC out to midi in on the RME, and slave PT to that, right?

What i understand is that every pass has a slightly different sync. I can't test it here since i have no MTC here, but i believe to think that MTC is not that precise.

Is it an idea that every run you make, you start and/or end with a click and manually slide the recorded tracks in sample accurate sync position?
No. I record out of the 4 individual outputs + 2 stereo outputs of the MPC directly through my interface. Analogue not spdif. There are no physical MIDI connections between MPC and RME interface, the innerclock device handles MIDI by outputting analogue pulses to the MPC. Can only use MIDI beat clock with this system, but have had same offset issues using MTC before getting the innerclock device. Sessions are typically 24bit/48khz
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM

I am unfamiliar with midi beat clock and inner clock, therefore i can't help you any further. Sorry.