Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2000, 06:34 PM

Default 001 w/B&W G3 Ultra Wide

Does anyone have any suggestions for making the 001/Pro Tools LE work with the B&W G3-Ultrawide version. According to the compatability documents in the support center, the Mac UW card does not have enough NV Ram to support Pro Tools files on an external hard drive. So, any time you try to record audio to any drive, you get a "PCI Bus too busy!" error message. I tried to suggest to my client, that he get an approved G3 or G4 ATA or IDE computer, but this is what he's stuck with at the moment.

I got the dual channel ATTO UW SCSI card that was approved for all G3/G4 systems, removed the old Mac UW SCSI card, and connected the internal HD and the external audio drive to it, and the 001 card next to it in the second PCI slot. Everything seemed to be fine for about a day. Recording, punching and playing back tracks were no problem. However, the next day, the computer would freeze any time Pro Tools was up. Sometimes the mouse would freeze and other times, the "PCI bus too busy" error message would show up. In case you're wondering, I'm running OS 9.0.4 with the installed from CD version of PT/LE (didn't update DAE or DSI because MTC out works fine), ATTO firmware v1440 (out of the box version), and only the ATTO SCSI card and the 001 card are in the computer.

If anyone has made this setup work, let me know. Also, a digi personnel suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've seen this happen to 2 guys who called me to help them with their 001 systems after they bought everything. When I suggested to the first guy that he buy an approved G4, he didn't have a problem with doing so, so I didn't have to try and make it work. There are computer retailers (namely Unitek in L.A.) who are selling these computers as "Pro Tools" computers to unknowledgable 1st time Mac or Pro Tools buyers. It's kind of strange becuase they don't even sell Digidesign or any digital audio packages. I have a feeling that the UW B&W G3s are probably never going to work with PT, but I haven't been able to get a definitive "yes" or "no" from the compatablility section of the web site, or a play-by-play of how to make it work. Does anyone have answers ???!??

- Eric
Old 09-10-2000, 12:52 AM

Default Re: 001 w/B&W G3 Ultra Wide

I have this exact set-up and, for 001, it screams. HOWEVER, you can't use it with external drives. The thing to do is have your client get a big giant ultra-ATA drive (7200 rpm) from Outpost.com (they're CHEAP, $200 or so -- free next day shipping). Pay $30 to have the local computer shop install it. It's super cheap and super fast (as fast, for 001, as a pair of 10k external Cheetahs).

If for some reason you must use external drives, the ATTO card etc. won't work with the the SCSI boot drive in those B&W's. You have to replace the boot drive with a fast ultra ATA drive (see above, I have a barracuda, but check barefeats.com to check what is the cutting edge ultra-ATA drive). I'm upgrading to a MixPlus system and it WON'T boot off a SCSI drive. So i'm doing the above.

The problem is that the adaptec card in those B&W's isn't real. It's some half-baked version of a 2940. But the machine is great with 001. Hell, with that SCSI drive, you can record lots of tracks to the boot drive. But go with the ultra ATA's.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2000, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info on the ATA drive. That is the next thing that I'll try. I've tried every possible combination of cards and slots, with varied results. Your setup sounds like the way to go because it frees up the PCI bus.

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-13-2000, 06:40 PM

I have a B&W G3 with the ATTO PCI-Dual Channel card going to two 18 gig LVD Cheetahs and it works fine. What I like about this setup as opposed to ATA is that there is no delay when playing and recording with PT. I also have a single channel (2930) Adaptec installed for another SCSI drive (9 gig for mastering to) , a CD burner and scanner are also connected to this card. I have had absolutely no problems with the SCSI setup although I have had problems with USB (mouse freezes). I have all non-Apple extensions turned off except for the ones for Digi and OMS. Hope this helps.

[email protected]