Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 Video Engine

Hello, new to the forum. I am having major difficulty with the video engine in Pro Tools 11. I am on a Mac running, OS 10.9.4, and I have the latest version of Pro Tools 11. When starting Pro Tools it asks to enable toe video engine. I choose yes, and I see the green bar and the message, "waiting for the Video Engine to launch..." Then it never opens the program. Any help would be really appreciated.

Brian
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Video Engine

Try choosing NO

Launch Pro Tools, and then try enabling the video engine
SETUP>Playback Engine - and 'check' Enable Video Engine

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Thank you, tried that but it still will not load the engine.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Do you have Media Composer installed too? I seem to remember having difficulties until I threw out all the AMA plugins from MC. Then I had to reinstall them with the latest versions only...

I didn't make this up, btw. Marianna reported it in another thread somewhere...

Chris
Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM

I have no idea how everything works "under the hood" but, sadly, the only thing that worked for me was a fresh OS X install and then a clean install of PT11 ONLY.

Now I finally have Yosemite (shhhhhhhhhh) and PT11 HD running smoothly on my new laptop.

Was pretty frustrating after shelling out 3000+ dollars for PT11HD upgrade and a new laptop to then have to run Mavericks and PT10. haha.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Hi everyone! Any news on this issue? I'm still having trouble playing video on pro tools, video displays just black, then PT freezes and I have to force quit it. After I quit it, i get the message "waiting for video operation to complete".

I have Pro Tools 11.2.2 running on Mac OS X 10.9.3, 8 G RAM, and this bug hasn't been fixed yet.

As far as I've been reading in forums a lot of users are experiencing the exact same issues since previous versions of PT 11. I tried everything I read on forums, I even formatted completely my mac and reinstalled PT and nothing seems to work.

I am a film composer, so the video engine is the main feature for my workflow.

Please help AVID! A lot of us are expending a lot of money hoping to get the most professional and advanced tools to work, and it turns out to be a bad choice to purchase/upgrade..
Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 AM

This might be a silly question, but...are you trying to enable the video engine with a standard user account or an admin account? I have a feeling that when I logged in as local admin I could enable the Video Engine.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM

I can't confirm that this will fix the issue, but I seem to recall having better success after updating QuickTime and then restarting. This was on PC, but since both PT and QT are cross-platform, it stands to reason that it would have a similar effect on both operating systems.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM

Hello,

Am having a problem as well with PT 11 and video
PT 11.3
Mac 10.9.5

Every time I try to load a video, I get the following error msg. Pls see screenshot attached.

Many thanks,

Peter
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enable video engine error msg.jpg (35.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-05-2015, 05:09 PM

I think I am sorted now...

mbp i7 2ghz 8gig ram/ OS 10.9.5
PT 11.3

I called tech support and explained everything and sent in my error msg. Steve the tech asked me which codec was using and I told him H264. He told me that this was not recommended and I should use Apple Prores.

He also asked me if I had installed 11.3 on top of a previously installed version of 11 which I had done. He advised me to uninstall and reinstall from the new 11.3 installer, which was very simple, following these instructions:

"Here is a link to some instructions on how to manually remove Pro Tools 11:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...uninstall-PT11

If you wish to not remove plugins, do not delete the folder in the following directory - Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/"Audio".

In addition, I would also delete the Pro Tools 11 preference files. Here's instructions on how to do that:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...nd_Preferences

If the uninstall and reinstall doesn't fix the problem, I would suggest ejecting all external drives and try again. If this fixes the problem, try connecting drives on at a time, testing in between, to see if we can narrow it down to a specific drive.

Another suggestion would be to delete all network setups in System Preferences > Network. You can do this by clicking on each network connection on the left, and clicking the minus (-) button at the bottom left. Once deleted, test Pro Tools. If all is well, then you can re-build your network settings.

As we discussed, H.264 is not a recommended codec for Pro Tools 11, and performance may vary. If the suggestion above don't correct the problem I would try recoding the video with a preferred codec. Here is a list of the codecs that are qualified for Pro Tools 11:"

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...kbase&filter=0

So I did these steps and was able to load my video into a new session and get it to play. At the default HW buffer setting I got an error msg, so I increased HW buffer size to 1024 and after that I have been fine for the moment. I don't know how this is going to go when I get into more elaborate sessions. Right now I just have two stereo tracks of audio and the video in there, but at least it's working.

Hope that this helps somebody.

Peter