Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Anyway to turn off shift lock

I'm not sure what the function is exactly called but I hate it. If I hit the shift button on a control surface fast, it stays on. Can this function be turned off? It's like a penalty for moving fast. I end up doing things I don't want to do like instead of turning off a solo I use the transport. Any help?
Best
Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Anyway to turn off shift lock

Hi - as I understand it, the shift feature can be used in either of two ways:

(1) Press and HOLD shift, press other button, release other button, THEN release shift

or:

(2) Press and release shift, engaging shift-lock mode

I'm assuming you're meaning to do (1), but accidently doing (2). Have I got this right ?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how this is possible - for (1) you must keep holding shift till you've pressed and released the other button. Once you've done that, shift-lock mode is (I think) never engaged. Which suggests you must be tapping shift on its own - and I'm not sure why you'd do that, unless you want shift-lock.

Does any of that help ? If not, please describe the exact sequence of button presses that's causing shift-lock to be engaged.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Hi Chris,
I'm simply holding shift and pressing the flip button. I flip down plug in about once a minute. I mix tv shows and go though the dialogue clip by clip eq, dns, de-ssses, unflip, volume ride. Then I move onto the next clip. Doing this flip , unflip action so much makes me super fast at it. I engage shift lock every time I flip or unflip plug ins. I'm just holding Dow. The shift key and hitting the flip key. That's it. Shift lock engaged. Super annoying. Please help!
Best
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Same here... I would love to be able to disable it!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 AM

I can only think you guys must sometimes be accidently releasing shift BEFORE you've finished pressing flip. That way shift-lock will engage.

The solution is to ensure you keep holding down shift, till flip (or whatever) is pressed.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-euphonix View Post
I can only think you guys must sometimes be accidently releasing shift BEFORE you've finished pressing flip. That way shift-lock will engage.

The solution is to ensure you keep holding down shift, till flip (or whatever) is pressed.
Well, it happens all the time here. When I'm working (And I bought the controler to be faster!), I don't want to have to think about it. I hit it like I hit most of the shortcuts in the keyboard (like command C, V, etc...).

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I hit it like I hit most of the shortcuts in the keyboard (like command C, V, etc...).
Yep - that sounds like exactly what you should be doing. It's what I do, and I don't recall ever having shift-lock engage spuriously. It only ever engages where I press and release shift before doing anything else.

Strange.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-euphonix View Post
Yep - that sounds like exactly what you should be doing. It's what I do, and I don't recall ever having shift-lock engage spuriously. It only ever engages where I press and release shift before doing anything else.

Strange.
Hi chris,
No way I'm not hitting the flip key. I'm holding down flip and touching the flip key pretty fast but I'm definetly hitting the keys correctly. When I do this key combination I always do 2 things. 1 the controllers flip the plug in to the faders for editing and 2 engage shift lock. I'm not missing keys or hitting shift twice. I work on this controller every day for 8 hours a day. Trust me on this one. Either shift lock has a bug where it's engaging even when you are doing another command or shift lock has a design flaw and engages when you are doing othe commands. Either way I really this I should have to hold down option and shift to engage shift lock to prevent this crazy workflow killer of a feature from happening all the time without it being intensionally turned on.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Hi Chris,
I'm simply holding shift and pressing the flip button. I flip down plug in about once a minute. I mix tv shows and go though the dialogue clip by clip eq, dns, de-ssses, unflip, volume ride. Then I move onto the next clip. Doing this flip , unflip action so much makes me super fast at it. I engage shift lock every time I flip or unflip plug ins. I'm just holding Dow. The shift key and hitting the flip key. That's it. Shift lock engaged. Super annoying. Please help!
Best
You don't have the timing of it down. You can't release both buttons simultaneously. I just tried and sometimes lock engages when you do that. Release the flip key first, then wait just a brief < half second before releasing shift, and it will not lock.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
You don't have the timing of it down. You can't release both buttons simultaneously. I just tried and sometimes lock engages when you do that. Release the flip key first, then wait just a brief < half second before releasing shift, and it will not lock.
I'm moving to fast for all that. I need to just be able to hit the correct buttons and go. I have clients and tight deadlines. I really thing shiftlock should be a pref.