Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2003, 03:04 AM

Default Protecting your equipment...

Right now I have all my synths, samplers plugged into one of those 150 dollar Furman rack power conditioners. Are these adequate for protecting my equipment? Some sales guy was telling me that I need to get a better protector for at least 600 dollars and that the Furmans are useless. What should I do? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Protecting your equipment...

? Depends on your needs? For studio and remote venues I like to know my power is clean. (FYI - For the below units I paid between $100-$400.00 each. from surplus venders
Below is my point of view on this topic.

*Shop around for refurbished or older stock.(you can buy new batteries)
*Match the power requirements to your areas power.
*Ideally have separate circuits for your studio area.
*Plan power headroom into your needs.
(1/3 to 50% per circuit works for me ).
*You just don’t want a maxed out 20 amp draw on a 20 amp breaker. (Adding circuit breakers is not expensive). *Make sure your House or building has an adequate pole feed (source)

I use Powerware** category 9 UPS systems that are dual conversion on-line power for my whole studio.
(2-20amp & 1-15 amp circuits)
Also one 1Kva unit I haul around for my portable system)
(Not for Lighting or laser printers unless your going to a large facility system))

Advantages of cost effective clean sine wave power are:
1. Better amplifier sound
2. Hard Drive or any spinning disk during a power flux or shut off all remain running.
3. Some units allow adjustable output voltages. (Vintage 1950’s gear likes running at 110-117vac
* Also note if your considering balanced power systems, attach transformers after the UPS system.

**There are many makes and sizes.
The key is in the dual conversion regulating process (AC power into DC then regulated / conditioned Sine wave AC power out)
Audio gear, computer gear all work great with this.
*Be sure to have proper size systems for your needs. (I run 2- powerware 9125 2Kva & 1-9125 1.5Kva units at about 1/3 capacity in a small Electronic Music Lab)
I also recommend Lager units for entire studio facilities.
(((Always seek a professional Electrician if you are unsure. Self installation on large units is not recommended unless your qualified in these dangerous areas)))

Also note that not all UPS units put out Sine wave power when on the batteries (square waves) which will adversely effect audio gear power supplies.

So, be patient and research as your doing.
Quality Power is the unsung infrastructure to all systems.

Units like conditioned power strips have some filters and are not at all bad. They just don't protect you when the power fluxes or goes off. (This surge/drop of power happens here regularly and blackouts happen 3-4 times a year)(For remote location recording or live laptop playing, I just play it safe)
Old 07-29-2003, 07:06 AM

I went with the Furman "IT" series, no problems here IT-1220 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 07:56 AM

how much did you pay? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 08:45 PM

Is a 150 dollar Furman PL Plus Power conditioner adequate protection for a HD system? This is just for a home studio and I'm trying to decide if it's necessary to spend more money on a conditioner. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:56 PM

You know that refrigrator and microwave in the kitchen have been working great for 10 years and they're plugged directly into the wall.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:02 AM

Quote:
You know that refrigrator and microwave in the kitchen have been working great for 10 years and they're plugged directly into the wall.

Whoow where can I buy that wall?