Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Default DSP allocation question

I thought I read a thread on moving DSP allocation around in the System Resources Window but I can not seem to find it.

A pointer or how to would be welcome.

thanks

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Avid

Default Re: DSP allocation question

Quote:
I thought I read a thread on moving DSP allocation around in the System Resources Window but I can not seem to find it.

A pointer or how to would be welcome.

thanks
Hey Craig,

Yes, it is possible to manually manage DSP usage with the "Show System Usage" window, though its not as glorious as it may seem.

With session open or not, you can block out any DSP(s) of your choice by simply clicking on the horizontal black bar(s) under the cards title bar. (ie "HD Accel #1"). Or, you can block out an entire cards worth of DSPs by clicking in title bar itself of any card.

Why would one do such a thing as "block out DSP"? Certain sessions, using a dynamic array of DSP-limited plug-ins (ones that only run on certain chip-types), may encounter trouble loading up if those chips are previously occupied. Trying to preserve those chips by manually allocating them before session open can allow the user to de-allocate the chips later and reactivate the plug-ins. Its something to try.

However, if you are inquiring about this due to session/plug-in load problems, I'd suggest trying the bet mixers from 6.7 install CD located in the "Additional Files" folder.

these mixers were designed to preserve the heavily demanded SRAM 321 chips (#3-6) on Accel cards and provide optimized mixer-allocations.

Give 'em a try!

Good luck!

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 12-03-2004, 07:52 PM

Thanks Tim,

I'm down on 6.2.3 and will be there for a few months at least and will not be going past 6.4.1 w/o changing out about 12 old d24/mix system to HD. and probably not soon

thanks again

craig

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Avid

Got it Craig.....

Though, understand that you can manually allocate DSPs in a Mix card system as well. And benefits can still be achieved.

Mix and DSP Farm cards share the same (though not identical) issues with certain plugs and required DSPs.

If you have (12!!!!??? - wow) Mix and d24 systems, there is no benefit with this unless the systems contain DSP farms.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."