Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Default iLok / software activation question

I have PT 12.6.1 on a desktop working great. But I want to do mobile tracking on my laptop, and later import those files into my external drive with the desktop in order to edit/mix. I have a few questions:

1. I installed PT 12.6.1 on my laptop just now, and installed iLok Manager. I took my iLok out of the desktop into a USB port on my laptop. When I launch PT on the laptop, it wants me to activate the software. But it says it can't find any activations available. I guess I figured I could run PT off my laptop too, but I'm not sure what to do from here.

2. If I do get PT to launch on the laptop, will I be ok to track storing the files on the C: drive? Or will I need to carry an external drive along with me just to track?
Golden Age Project Pre-73 JR
Warm Audio WA12 MKII Preamp
Glyph 1TB GPT50 external drive - Firewire
LaCie 1TB external drive - USB
JBL LSR305 monitors

AT 2020 & 2021
Equation F.20 condenser mic
Old 12-30-2019, 01:05 PM

Default Re: iLok / software activation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo71 View Post
I have PT 12.6.1 on a desktop working great. But I want to do mobile tracking on my laptop, and later import those files into my external drive with the desktop in order to edit/mix. I have a few questions:

1. I installed PT 12.6.1 on my laptop just now, and installed iLok Manager. I took my iLok out of the desktop into a USB port on my laptop. When I launch PT on the laptop, it wants me to activate the software. But it says it can't find any activations available. I guess I figured I could run PT off my laptop too, but I'm not sure what to do from here.

2. If I do get PT to launch on the laptop, will I be ok to track storing the files on the C: drive? Or will I need to carry an external drive along with me just to track?
To try and answer question 1:
Make sure you turn off ALL power savings measures on your laptop. Windows by default turns off the power to the USB ports after a while to save power. Second - do NOT hot plug the iLok into your computer. Third - are the USB ports on your laptop USB 3? iLoks have been known to have issues with USB 3 ports. The usual remedy is to run a powered USB hub between the computer & iLok.

Answering question #2 requires more info on your part. First is what kind of drive do you have for your system drive? Spinner? SSD? If it's a spinner you definitely do NOT want to put session files on there. If it's an ssd what size and type is it? Some ssd's are wicked fast.

QAPLA!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Thanks Jack,

I got it working now, it was probably because the USB port wasn't powered on. I'm not sure how to figure out what kind of disk drive is on this laptop. It's a HP Notebook i5. I'll just try it and see what happens.
Golden Age Project Pre-73 JR
Warm Audio WA12 MKII Preamp
Glyph 1TB GPT50 external drive - Firewire
LaCie 1TB external drive - USB
JBL LSR305 monitors

AT 2020 & 2021
Equation F.20 condenser mic
Old 12-31-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo71 View Post
Thanks Jack,

I got it working now, it was probably because the USB port wasn't powered on. I'm not sure how to figure out what kind of disk drive is on this laptop. It's a HP Notebook i5. I'll just try it and see what happens.
As far as finding out what your system drive is a simple Google search came up with this (and many others): https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ard-drive-rpm/
For things like this make Google your friend. Simple, easy and fast.

QAPLA!