Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 AM

Default Bug after changing hardware settings - Pro Tools won't start up

I have a new copy of Pro Tools 9.0.0 (thanks very much Digidesign this is my wish come true!) I am using it with a Roland UA 25-EX with ASIO4ALL and it was working but while I was mucking around with latency settings I found an option under Options > Playback where there were two devices listed:

ASIO4ALL
UA 25-EX

So I thought I'd select the Roland interface to see if I could get an improved latency. Then it said "Pro Tools has to restart to apply the new settings" so I did that but when it restarted it gave me this error message and it gives me this error message each time now, I don't know how to revert it:

"Protools hardware is either not installed or is used by another program".

How can I set protools to use the ASIO4ALL driver again since it won't load? Is there any way, an ini file or something, or do I have to reinstall Protools? Also do you need more info to log a bug?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Bug after changing hardware settings - Pro Tools won't start up

It's a bit more serious than I expected. Tried doing a "repair" from the disk but wouldn't work. Then tried doing a full "uninstall" from the disk, restart then a full "install" from the disk. It still doesn't work. Last resort now and it's painful. Reinstall Windoze and then install ASIO4ALL and Protools from scratch. You live and learn I guess, still would be wise for Protools to only display ASIO devices in the Options > Playback menu.

Any other tips such as purging a config file or something would be handy.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 AM

Ok, so I found a neat trick: hold "N" while starting up Pro Tools and it allows you to configure the playback settings! That is cool, case closed.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Were you ever successful in interfacing the UA-25 EX with Pro Tools? or did you only succeed in getting Pro Tools to work again but without the UA-25 EX? Thank you, Peace & Blessings, Joel
Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 PM

thanks bro i was looking for this, was going back in forth between ensemble and 003 board