Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2024, 09:26 PM

Default Committing Melodyne ARA Tracks

Why do the newly committed tracks also have Melodyne instantiated on them? That's a bug. After committing, the new tracks should be free of processing.

Everyone's at NAMMBLA jerking off over Atmos but some of us still work.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Committing Melodyne ARA Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
Why do the newly committed tracks also have Melodyne instantiated on them? That's a bug. After committing, the new tracks should be free of processing.

Everyone's at NAMMBLA jerking off over Atmos but some of us still work.
I think it's by design - it does the same for Elastic Audio. It would be nice to change that behavior though.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-27-2024, 04:31 PM

I'm confused. Can you describe in complete detail what you are doing? I wonder if a small change in your workflow is the solution. Example:
I just put Melodyne on a vocal track(in slot A where it should always be used), did tuning and then committed by 2 methods; Right-click on Melodyne and choose Commit up to this plugin(my usual method) and also by committing the entire track. In both cases, the resulting .cm track appeared without Melodyne inserted(the entire track commit appeared with no plugins). I'm not understanding how you are getting a result that has Melodyne on a committed track

As for Elastic Audio, do you have preferences set so new tracks default to Elastic Audio enabled?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-27-2024, 04:51 PM

Dave, is that using ARA Melodyne?
Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 PM

I think I know what you are talking about, I noticed this behavior too and I think it is because your track is on ticks instead of samples in the timebase selector. This makes it analyze any audio on the track (even audio that was just rendered) so that it is always ready to react to your session changing tempo or whatever. I agree this is annoying and it should only analyze the track if a time stretch is actually needed
Old 01-28-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm confused. Can you describe in complete detail what you are doing? I wonder if a small change in your workflow is the solution. Example:
I just put Melodyne on a vocal track(in slot A where it should always be used), did tuning and then committed by 2 methods; Right-click on Melodyne and choose Commit up to this plugin(my usual method) and also by committing the entire track. In both cases, the resulting .cm track appeared without Melodyne inserted(the entire track commit appeared with no plugins). I'm not understanding how you are getting a result that has Melodyne on a committed track

As for Elastic Audio, do you have preferences set so new tracks default to Elastic Audio enabled?
I'm talking about using it in the Elastic Audio setting, not a plug-in. It's built-in now. No plug-in needed.

I have prefs set for Elastic Audio disabled on new tracks.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosDanger View Post
I think I know what you are talking about, I noticed this behavior too and I think it is because your track is on ticks instead of samples in the timebase selector. This makes it analyze any audio on the track (even audio that was just rendered) so that it is always ready to react to your session changing tempo or whatever. I agree this is annoying and it should only analyze the track if a time stretch is actually needed
Next time I'll try the ticks/samples setting and see if that makes a difference, but I do believe you are mistaken about the default functions of tick-based tracks. It does no automatic analysis unless Elastic Audio is engaged. Tick-based track settings are used in case your clips are placed metrically and you would like to change tempo and have them scale accordingly. But they only scale the start time of the clip. They do not stretch the audio. That would be the preferred method if using drum samples as individual clips, for example. Sample-based tracks do not respond to tempo changes at all and stay locked to absolute time(code). Am I missing something?
Old 01-29-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Dave, is that using ARA Melodyne?
If I am using ARA, I just commit the changes by removing Melodyne ARA and choosing Commit. I'm still not clear on where the issue is between EA and Melodyne ARA. It was my understanding that you could only enable one of these functions at a time(though ARA should allow adjusting timing, and might work better than EA, or at least with fewer artifacts). Sorry I couldn't help

Old 01-31-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If I am using ARA, I just commit the changes by removing Melodyne ARA and choosing Commit. I'm still not clear on where the issue is between EA and Melodyne ARA. It was my understanding that you could only enable one of these functions at a time(though ARA should allow adjusting timing, and might work better than EA, or at least with fewer artifacts). Sorry I couldn't help
Thing is, I don't want to remove the existing Melodyne processing on the tracks. I want to create new "committed" tracks without any processing, but leave the original MD'ed tracks alone. That's the whole point of committing. Otherwise I could just hit Freeze.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
Thing is, I don't want to remove the existing Melodyne processing on the tracks. I want to create new "committed" tracks without any processing, but leave the original MD'ed tracks alone. That's the whole point of committing. Otherwise I could just hit Freeze.
Hmmm, still confused. When I commit a track with Melodyne edits, I get a new track without Melodyne on it. This does nothing to the original track, unless I choose to have the Commit function do something like Hide and Make Inactive. Do nothing(to the original track) is one of the options when you commit a track. I'm honestly trying to help, but am still unclear on what's going on.(maybe you are doing something I haven't considered)

As I reread your reply, maybe you do Melodyne edits in ARA and then Commit that track, and the new track appears with Melodyne ARA enabled? In that case, just disable Melodyne on the .com track(or does ARA have a problem that I am unaware of as I work differently?).