Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freez

I am sorry to say that as of yet, we have not been able to reliably reproduce this in house. In one case, we set up debugging tools on a user's system, but then the problem did not occur. So it's not as simple as sending a developer out to the field, unfortunately. This has been a very frustrating issue to track down, and we are still working on it.

We have been sifting through the data from reports, and need to clarify one thing -

Our developers have told me that a spinning wheel is *not* a symptom of this particular problem - just a simple freeze. A spinning wheel indicates delayed responsivenes to the OS. Separating these two symptoms will help us get better data.

Are everyone's symptoms in line with the above?

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM

The spinning wheel has indeed never been a symptom of this problem for me.

The problem itself has been there from some 6.x version onwards and is still there for me in 7.3.1. The only common factors in my setup during all this time have been my HD core card and an 192 I/O. All other components have changed over the years (HD process->Accel, CPU, OS, Hdd, etc..).

L
Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 AM

it is not a spinning wheel thing. The cursor and scrolling just stops while music plays on and then at some point it resumes screen activity. In previous versions of this, clicking somewhere on the timelne seemd to kick it back in, but now that does nothing. I have 1024 buffer and 85% CPU at default level 2 with or without delay compensation on.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Still getting it on a regular basis here as well. No spinning beachball. Just a complete graphics freeze. Been seeing this issue since PT's 6 as well. I'm not a programmer or code writer, but my personal observation has always been that graphics has been a common thread in more than a bunch of our problems out here in userland. I don't pretend to know what this implies, but I would submit that it is at least worth taking into account when formulating possible courses of inquiry.

My two cents.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Hi Danny,

honestly - If you cannot reproduce this problem you should pick the right "Factory" with a proper workload when you hook up your debuggers.

Random graphic freezes have been appearing for almost a year now and stating that you haven't had one in your lab just tell me that you dont really care or you simply have no idea why that is...

when doing dense editing and mixing I have graphic freezes every 20 minutes or so... I can still turn up the volume or mute - only I cannot see what I am doing...

I have opened the activity monitor and I am watching what is going on every time the freeze arrives... And there is always something out of the ordinary going on there but I dont know what the heck all those administrative activities mean.... But then again I dont set out to become the "Industry Standard" in audio recording. Digidesign, on the other hand does. I find it rather scaring that you have not been able to reproduce this freeze - it only tells me that you dont care... If you dont care then you should not bother charging money for corrupted updates/grades... This is a shame - and it is resting on your shoulders and digging into our wallets and mood.

I bet if you were to try really hard; you could find a better excuse than the one you've just forfeited here in this thread. shame shame

my 100 cent
Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 AM

Hi,

About 3-4 times a day and for about 8-10 seconds. and also the control 24 freezes as well as the computer display! so i would say it is not graphics card related!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 PM

so to your technical part of the thread:

I never get a spinning ball when the freeze occur - and I never crash...

In activity monitor I can see certain things going on when the freeze occur... The "Window Server" is active every time - as is some weird named disk arbitrator……… or something like that. Also a often seen running app when the freeze occur is some kind of core midi app....

My freezes happen mostly right after hitting play - very seldom when playing or recording...

And for the record - I use a lot of different software - many of them crash a lot unlike yours but none of em have graphic freezes...
Old 01-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
stating that you haven't had one in your lab just tell me that you dont really care or you simply have no idea why that is...

[snip]

I bet if you were to try really hard; you could find a better excuse than the one you've just forfeited here in this thread. shame shame

my 100 cent
Dear 25: you are so full of [bleep], and so disrespectful to others, it offends me.

If there's ANYONE who cares, it's Danny Caccavo. You absolutely have no idea who you're speaking to, or about.

Your tone stinks.

And I usually give the benefit of the doubt to those where English is not their native tongue. But that's not the case with you -- you continue to simply spew nasty. You want the Digi product manager to participate in the forum, yet you treat him like dirt. I hope they find a fix for this and conveniently forget to send it to you.

As for Danny's question: like others here, this problem we're discussing here has nothing to do with a SPOD. When this issue occurs, everything plays and records, but there is no screen activity or indication that something is happening. A real confidence killer.

Could this be related to dual displays?

Dear Digi mod: if you must edit my post, please keep the part relating to the bug and the technology. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 PM

no SWOD here.
moved up to 7.3.1 and new computer and new HD cards, still the same freeze thing.
i'm running 2 displays...(per jeremy's thought)
keep working on this Danny, we do appreciate your time.

zeeman
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 PM

I get this too, 7.2 cs2 G5 dual 2.7 OX 10.4.8 only one monitor no SWOD audio goes on but the whole gui is frozen for 5 -10 seconds or so. seems to only happen in play, or initiating play ie it's always playing when this happens, as far as I can recall.
seems random, I've never found a way to reproduce it. Has happened on some sessions with only 12 tracks or so. Possibly more common when running Ivory or Reason.