Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Importing Audio by double clicking a clip defaults to Add

I've searched and not been able to find anything on this but apologies if I missed it somewhere.

Just upgraded to PT 10 and in the import audio window when I double click a clip to import it only "Add"s the clip by default. I never, ever want to add a clip, I always want to convert. Is there a way to make it default to convert when I double click? This would clean up my workflow a lot.

I went into the preferences and checked the boxes for "Automatically Copy Files on Import" and "Convert Copied Files to Session Format" but still when I double click it only "add"s the file instead of converting it.

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this for me.

_R
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Importing Audio by double clicking a clip defaults to Add

IIRC, if no conversion is needed, the clip is just added. Others who are more knowledgeable will probably correct me.

And even if you have checked the Preference for "Always Copy", whenever you're given the chance to copy, always do so, just in case.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Thanks for your response but my issue is that I simply want it to ALWAYS copy no matter what. I have no use for the "add" button. So in that case, I want to be able to double click the clip and have it copy by default instead of add.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM

One thing I can clarify is that I want it to either COPY or CONVERT but never ADD when I double click. It used to be this way in 9 and previous but now it isn't and it's added a lot of time to my workflow.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relder17 View Post
I went into the preferences and checked the boxes for "Automatically Copy Files on Import" and "Convert Copied Files to Session Format" but still when I double click it only "add"s the file instead of converting it.
PT Ref Guide :
"The Automatically Copy Files on Import preference does not affect the Import Audio command." (Thats a pain for me.)

So I either drag from finder/exporer or have a red warning flag waving in my head (copy!) when using the import audio menu.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 PM

I'm getting used to it but it's still adding tons of time to my workflow to not be able to double click audio clips. Pretty disappointed in this change.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM

While in the Import Audio window, you can use Command + C to perform the copy/convert option. As an added bonus, you can use Command + W instead of clicking "Done" and in the resulting import options dialog, you can use Command + R for the Region/Clip List option and Command + T for the new track option (Command + up/down arrows will switch between the location options).
Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPhillip View Post
... and in the resulting import options dialog, you can use Command + R for the Region/Clip List option and Command + T for the new track option (Command + up/down arrows will switch between the location options).
That`s a nice one, thanks !
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060