Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Default MTRX Studio with Dante PciE card

If I got a Focusrite PCie Dante card would that add 128 channels of Dante to my 64 with the MTRX Studio or would I just have a total of 128 channels? Also, if I wanted to get more than 128 channels with a MTRX Studio (with buying a card) is there a way to do that?
Old 10-27-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante PciE card

Are you talking about using with your HDX system? If so you need to connect your IO through Digilink on the HDX, not other ways. So with a MTRX studio you have up to 64 Dante IO. The normal way to expand this would be adding a MTRX. You need to make sure you have as many HDX cards as needed to give you the needed Digilink IO connectivity.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-27-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 AM

I have an HD Native system running PT Ultimate with the MTRX Studio via Dante. So no HDX cards. I just want to see how many Dante channels I can run max with this setup.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
I have an HD Native system running PT Ultimate with the MTRX Studio via Dante. So no HDX cards. I just want to see how many Dante channels I can run max with this setup.
This is confusing, you really need to clearly describe what you are trying to do when asking questions like this.

If you are using the MTRX Studio via Dante you do not have a "HD Native" systems, any installed HD native card is doing nothing, and Dante will be your playback engine. And in that case Pro Tools Ultimate (and standard) is limited to 32 IO. And if so why are you posting this question to the HD Native/HDX Forum area?

If you are going to the MTRX Studio vi Digilink to then access Dante on a HD Native system you are limited to a total of 64 IO (single HDN card, two digilink port limitation), getting more than that requires HDX and say adding a MTRX.

Is there is more to this question, like will you want DADman routing to work with the final setup?

I'm not sure what the HD X in your profile is supposed to mean, you might want to update that.

I suspect you will be best served by calling a sales rep at Sweetwater or Vintage King and describing to them what you exactly have today and are trying to do.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
64 Dante channels is the maximum the MTRX Studio supports. If you use all 64 channels for Dante you’ll have no analogue or ADAT I/O though. The 64 channels are shared between the analogue I/O, ADAT I/O and Dante ports and you can freely assign what inputs/outputs you want up to a total of 64 channels.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
64 Dante channels is the maximum the MTRX Studio supports. If you use all 64 channels for Dante you’ll have no analogue or ADAT I/O though. The 64 channels are shared between the analogue I/O, ADAT I/O and Dante ports and you can freely assign what inputs/outputs you want up to a total of 64 channels.
Umm, do you have a source for this? I was under the assumption that the Dante IO was in addition to the others.
Windows 11 22H2, Intel i9-14900K, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2023.9

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:28 AM

I assumed the quoted Dante limitation is bogus, on the info blurb

"Route audio extensively
With 64 channels of Dante, plus the 512 x 512 matrix in DADman, you can route any MTRX Studio input to any output, expanding your workflow possibilities. Create easy cue mixes over Dante. Route between connectivity formats. Even send audio to multiple devices simultaneously."
Windows 11 22H2, Intel i9-14900K, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2023.9

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
Umm, do you have a source for this? I was under the assumption that the Dante IO was in addition to the others.
I have a MTRX Studio and a Focusrite Dante PCIe card so the source is me! For a start it has two Digilink ports supporting 32 channels each as Darryl says. Also the most number of channels you will get out of the Focusrite into the MTRX Studio is 64 and if you do that you obviously use up all 64 Digilink channels so none left for the analog and ADAT I/O.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I have a MTRX Studio and a Focusrite Dante PCIe card so the source is me! For a start it has two Digilink ports supporting 32 channels each as Darryl says. Also the most number of channels you will get out of the Focusrite into the MTRX Studio is 64 and if you do that you obviously use up all 64 Digilink channels so none left for the analog and ADAT I/O.

Technically, you are probably talking more about the limitation of Pro Tools I/O rather than MTRX Studio I/O. The former is dealt with by the hardware I/O tab, and deals with whatever comes and goes from Pro Tools. The latter is dealt with by the routing matrix in DADman, and deals with whatever comes and goes from the physical I/O of the MTRX Studio.

You might only be able to get 64 channels of digilink out of Pro Tools and into the MTRX Studio, but you can still also attach an entirely separate Logic/nuendo/atmos renderer/whatever using Dante. You can attach talkback mics to the mic pres. Attach Aviom cue systems to the adat outputs, and so on, and route all of that I/O around within the MTRX Studio. They aren't shared I/O in that sense, they are freely assignable.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.