Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Default Thunderbolt to DigiLink

So, Apogee has announced their Thunderbolt-to-DigiLink box for their Symphony system.

http://www.vintageking.com/Apogee-Sy...64-Thunderbolt

Is anything stopping me from buying one of these things, and running my system with the native mix engine and strapping on my existing Digi 192i/o interfaces?

It's basically an HD Native card in a thunderbolt box, right?

Any reason why AVID would NOT want to make a similar product?

I'm sick and tired of hitting the voice wall at 96K where I'm sharing voices between all kinds of things, and stuck with running TDM plugins (ie: AutoTune) that are clearly inferior to their RTAS counterparts...

Anyhow, with my MacPro, I could easily run the entire mix on the CPU, if only I could get my AES/EBU hardware inserts happening, monitoring, etc...

It drives me CRAZY that AVID has handcuffed the ProTools|HD mix engine to the TDM environment, when clearly, the MacPro could run circles around my HD|6 Accell hardware.

Last edited by Mixchump; 02-01-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Thunderbolt to DigiLink

Is the protocol for the symphony system interfaces identical to the HD interfaces? I realize those appear to be the same connectors as digilink, but I don't know that it necessarily means you can plug a 192 into it and have it work. Especially since apogee sells both X-symphony and X-HD cards.

I realize that the apogee converters will work with a PTHD card and be seen as a 192 by pro tools, but I wouldn't assume that this thing will see a 192 as an apogee symphony converter and work the same way as an hd native card.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Thunderbolt to DigiLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Is the protocol for the symphony system interfaces identical to the HD interfaces? I realize those appear to be the same connectors as digilink, but I don't know that it necessarily means you can plug a 192 into it and have it work. Especially since apogee sells both X-symphony and X-HD cards.

I realize that the apogee converters will work with a PTHD card and be seen as a 192 by pro tools, but I wouldn't assume that this thing will see a 192 as an apogee symphony converter and work the same way as an hd native card.
Same connectors, different protocol. So you are correct, this doesn't get you a HD native card for free.