Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Files accidentally deleted...

Yes I did it... the only non-backed up session... I must have missed some keystroke, I don't know... I though I was deleting the unused files only, while actually ALL the files were selected... ok no way to recover them right ? I'm trying with DataRescue II, trying not to touch the disk where the files were stored... why doesn't PT simply trash these files instead of completely destroying them ? Any help really appreciated, thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Files accidentally deleted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
Yes I did it... the only non-backed up session... I must have missed some keystroke, I don't know... I though I was deleting the unused files only, while actually ALL the files were selected... ok no way to recover them right ? I'm trying with DataRescue II, trying not to touch the disk where the files were stored... why doesn't PT simply trash these files instead of completely destroying them ? Any help really appreciated, thanks
Hi,

for the best chance of recovering the data! don't do any more writing or using of the drive that has the data on!

DataRescue II Is probably the best, but can also try techtool pro. With the right tools and experience you should be able get this back.

There is an option to "remove" unused as apposed to "delete" unused. i guess another option would be to have the option to remove these files to another folder somewhere, just incase you make an error, then delete that folder later on when you're sure everything is cool. save copy in, can be a better way to archive sessions, and select and remove unused before saving as a copy!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Smile Re: Files accidentally deleted...

Hello:
You can uso following programs:
- Data Rescue II
- FileSalvage
- StellarPhoenix 3.0

I recomend you DataRescueII to find audio files and FileSalvage to recover sessions reels (you must to add this file format (.ptf/.pts) manually in the program prefs) .

When you deleted audios from a HDD you need to know:
- Never write in the damaged/deleted volume!!!
- Use a second drive for recover files

Because we are using audio files and in some cases are loger than 100Mb, you need to "modify" basic setup of recovery engine of DataRescueII to make "visible" to the program this files.
Go to:
DataRescueIIreferences/scan engine/filemodules/audio
The program can search all audios formats except SD2 (if you are using SD2, you will need FileSalvage, because you can add unknow files to a search engine).
Select the audio format that you are searching and modify the "maximum file size" to 2000Mb
Search in the volume deleted audio files.

You can try all programs before buy it, you can download from respective manufacturer pages.

Regards
Pablo Medrano
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

I have the same problem here. DataRescue could recover most of the files except for the ptf's. Now I started FileSalvage and added a new custom file format (ptf). FileSalvage seems to find my ptf files, although I don't really know if it's able to recover the files cuz in the preview I can only see the source code...?
Will the ptf files all be named as File.ptf or is FileSalvage able to display it's original file name?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM

I have to thank DataRescue II again, it recovered 36 accidentally deleted files impossible to redo... but I never tried to recover .ptf files. How come DRII cannot see them ?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM

DataRescue II worked for me too. It recovered 50gb of audio data except for the PT session files. And it doesn't seem to work with FileSalvage either...I contacted the FS support about my issue and they figured I wouldn't be able to recover my .ptf files... *veryfrustrated*
Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Would it work to open a new PT file and then spot the recovered audio files to their original locations...?

Might be a start at least...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
why doesn't PT simply trash these files instead of completely destroying them ?
Yes, I'm struggling to think of a reason why this wouldn't be preferable.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstaar View Post
Yes, I'm struggling to think of a reason why this wouldn't be preferable.
While I think it would be another good option at the same time I´m not sure if it would make a big difference. Wouldn´t take long for the first thread saying "Help!! Files permanently deleted from trash" to appear on the DUC
And people would probably be asking for a "juck yard" folder that files get moved to after they get deleted from the trash and so on.
As long as files can be deleted people will be deleting them by accident. I see no difference in PT asking the user "do you really want to delete the files?" and the user hitting "yes" or some other routine of the OS. It´s the human factor that hits the "yes" key.

;-)
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Data Rescue II just saved my ass in a big way today. If you find yourself in this untenable position, spend the $99 and buy the program. It's MORE than worth it.