Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2001, 11:37 AM

Default Apple Cinema Extension

Ok, so I bit for the 22" apple cinema display,, Very nice, no fields, no gtr hum, etc.. Protools looks great on it!!
The first problem, ADC (apple display connector) now a 30 pin version,,
Requires a latest Dual Proc G4, So we purchased a latest greatest G4 Dual,,, Now we need to extend the display cable,,,
(Hardware is in the machine room for silence in the control room)
Here it comes...
No extenders are available !
ADC 30 pin Connector is not available yet...
No one manufactures an extender yet..
We can not even make one ourselves because the connector is not available..
Any solutions??

note: There is an extension available if you have an older Apple Cinema Display with the DVI connector (18 pin plus USB)

Glenn Brown
GBP Studios
Old 01-29-2001, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Apple Cinema Extension

yes it is possible here at the studio we have 2 flat 15" ADC monitors on 40ft extensions the only downside is that you must cut the origial cable and splice on the extension..this will of coarse void any warrantys but heres how its done first thing is that the signal from the computer is TMDS signal at 60mhz so this requires a cable with the ability to handle that freq without ANY loss or skew. the ADC con. has (4 TMDS signals),(USB w/+5v-G),(+24vPower),(DDC+/-),(softpower),and (LED) signals. The only cable that I found that would work and that was easily available was 15ft 6pin Firewire cables for the TDMS signals, USB cables for the (USB/+5v) and yes USB does need to be available for the monitor control panel to adjust the brightness. all the other signals were run through the extra wires within the firewire cables firewire has 2 Bal/ shielded pairs plus to heavy gauge wires that can be used for power ..So you must use at least 3 Firewire cables and a USB cable to carry all the signals required to get this extension to work.and work it does with 40ft there is NO visable effects of the mod.at all
I have all the documentation of this mod including all pinouts .. just reply via email with a way to contact you and ill see if i can help..
hope this helps
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by the dude (edited January 29, 2001).]

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 01-29-2001, 02:33 PM

Hi Glen,
Where can I find the extension for the old Cinema display?, I've been looking with no luck. Thanks.
Mario de Arce
Augus Inc.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:12 PM

A friend of mine tried to hotrod a Belkin ADC to DVI adaptor prolonging it to 3 feet, but the picture went fuzzy so we had to go back to the original (he got two just in case!)

I seem to remember that one can't solder video cables?
Old 01-30-2001, 12:02 AM

Glenn:
The ADC transmits DVI (digital video interface), USB, and power. One suspects you can generate your own cable. The prior (now obsolete) ADC cables make it apparent that these three signals constitute the signal transmission. I'm told USB has no native function at the monitor, only to supply the hub in the monitor. The power signal can easily, I suspect, undergo distant transmission. DVI transmission length I can't comment on. Talk to Gefen.com about DVI transmission over distance. You may or may not need extenders for the DVI component. You didn't mention the cable didtance you require to get to your machine room.

Lastly, I'm informed Belkin is coming out with some 3rd party products supporting the current ADC, but I can't speak to what the devices will do.

Best wishes,
John Caldwell
Old 01-30-2001, 11:12 AM

I don't know the website, but do a search for Rocky Raynor- he builds extensions for the SGI flatpanels and is a real no ******** kind of guy- he may build one for the cinema display.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:01 PM

Thinking outside the box for a minute...

busting your cables sounds like not something you want to do with a 4k display, even if you know what you're doing.

How about getting an isoraxx? Put it in your control room with the computer and drives. I hear it's very good at reducing noise. Probably not the best solution, but I'm sure you could find another use for the rack (or sell it) when another viable solution comes on the market.
Old 01-31-2001, 12:44 AM

Two things, I heard from a connected party that the deal Apple made to restrict other brands releasing the 22" monitor have expired and that Philips has the same monitor at half the price with multiple connectors on them. I do not know model names, current availability or vendors.
2nd: Gefen sent me an announcement about a box for xtending DVI monitors, will this help with the apple cinema display issues?