Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Do you ever just suck?

Do you ever have days/weeks/months/years where everything is coming out crap?

Man, it's like no matter what I do, I can't stop sucking! These days, I tells ya.

</spew>
-Olaf
Old 08-08-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Do you ever just suck?

Have you had your summervacation, yet. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2003, 01:17 AM

Suck Happens. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:02 AM

Most of the time actually, luckily, clients disagree [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

J
Old 08-09-2003, 06:25 AM

I´m sucking since a while now. To know it will be better again helps though. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2003, 09:24 AM

I think so almost daily. Like sologiglos though, most of the time clients disagree - or don't notice [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] - and I still get paid.

I've been making money using my voice for over 20 years and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the reads that I thought were really good. Trust me, everyone is their own worst critic. In the beginning I thought it was only me that sucked, because I would hear other people's work and it was mistake free and sounded good. It didn't take long to realize that, of course their work was mistake free, the mistakes had been edited out. When I also got the chance to be in the back at sessions, I realized that most performers think they suck. I know one talent who isn't bad at all, but continually berates himself when he's in the booth for any little mistake he makes during a read. Whether you suck or not isn't as relevant as if other people think you suck. It's only relevant in making you want to improve.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Do you ever just suck? *DELETED*

Post deleted by David001
Old 08-09-2003, 02:43 PM

heres my take for what its worth..we all suck sometimes in our own mind...what keeps us going are those rare times we get treated with not sucking and the feeling of that is very strong and its something that drives us subconciously i think....i also believe that for me had i not been overly criticle of myself i always feared id settle for mediocrite and my growth as a player would end so i kept a tight rein on myself but always tried to be happy with the positive things at the same time....another thing ive noticed that i think we musicians get an unfair shake at is having the luxury to say outloud that we think we are fair at what we do...ppl easily perceive that as an out of control ego when really i think at times its just someone acknowledging that the entire trip wasnt a total waste of time...if your a carpenter its ok to say im a good carpenter...if your a doctor its ok to say your a good doctor...say your a good guitar player to someone and their first reaction will be boy does he think hes something...i think back yrs ago in a band i was in and the frontman jumped around and and tried be an entertaining showman...soon he was known as a show off lol....you cant win is the bottom line...we do it cuz we love it and sucking is part of it sometimes but then theres that one night when the lights are right and the p.a. mix is right and your amp is sounding sweet and you wail and its all worth it and someone comes up and says man you sound great tonight and you say yep i was just thinkin how good it sounde and you catch yerself and say i guess i didnt suck too bad tonight [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2003, 05:58 PM

Hey, guys, thanks for the kind words. I took a day or two off, just not thinking about music, and it's helped a lot. I'm about to get back into it, we'll see how it goes.

And yeah, I still need to make time for a summer vacation. This is getting rediculous.
-Olaf
Old 08-09-2003, 06:24 PM

Hi Olaf...
On the surface, I could say I've been going through some major suckage lately...(major storm damage, pc crash, ear was stopped up for 2 days, behind on deadlines, etc.)
BUT, all this surface 'crap', and I'm still reasonably happy underneath it all, because nobody I love was hurt in the storm, storm damage and pc will be fixed, and screw the deadlines anyway... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I got my Strat and a whole bunch of music left to do... things will get better for us, man... just keep chuggin forward... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]