Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2003, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Andy Wallace.... HOW???

MPC !!! I got loads of 'dem boxes. Cant seem to shake messin' with 'em.

just an aside.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:41 PM

Quote:
What's kidmixalot going to gain by knowing that Andy uses a Focusrite Red3 compressor with a 3:1 ratio and Sontec EQ on the mix bus while monitoring? Nada.
quack quack [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is the coolest thing all thread... I would have bet my pants that Andy simply used the SSL Quad Compressor on his mixes. PeeTee, is this a definite fact? He always uses the Focusrite rather then the SSL? Does he tweak around the Sontec to fix stuff about the whole mix?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Mixing:
Mick rarely goes off the console for eq or compression. The exception is the GML compressor and EQ. Those go on the lead vocal or lead instrument. He used to use and SSL compressor on the stereo bus along with a Lang eq, which was later replaced by the Avalon 2055. I don't know what goes there now that he''s mixing on the Oxford.

His EQ is not usually very radical, usually a high or low shelf boost. His effects stay pretty consistant from day to day and mix to mix. What Mick does that is magical is the fader rides. That's when the fireworks start, and that is the main part of mixing. You have to make sure that the song is in perfect balance all the way through the song. Things have to poke through at the right moment and the build of the song has to strike an emotional chord in the listener.

I have to get a mix out now.

Steve
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Few questions for you Steve. First off, I am assuming that "Mick" is a nickname for AW? Next, he uses Oxfords now? What releases has he mixed on the Oxford? Did he used to use the SSL quad comp or the Focusrite as PeeTee is saying? What was his use of the eq on the stereo mix? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:37 PM

I doubt knowing what comp AW uses, or how he twists the knobs on an EQ, is going to make you sound like him - anymore than playing a Strat will make you sound like EVH. From tracking to mastering, there's hundreds of details that make a mix sound the way it does. The gear is only part of the equation.

Like most things in life - there's no short cut to experience.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 08:48 PM

I was at Mick's place about a month ago and he played me "Thriller" mixed on 5.1

Also some Really cool Eric Clapton Live stuff.

This guy can mix.

He was a great guy too.

He did have alot of outboard stuff to go with the Oxford.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:40 PM

i checked a few of his mixes while printing.

as was said. the console was used exclusively, xcept for alot of FX.

but smart use of signal routing. and even smarter use of automation. the guy has an ear for detail.

best mix ive heard.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:01 AM

Mick rarely goes off the console for eq or compression. The exception is the GML compressor and EQ. Those go on the lead vocal or lead instrument. He used to use and SSL compressor on the stereo bus along with a Lang eq, which was later replaced by the Avalon 2055. I don't know what goes there now that he''s mixing on the Oxford.

His EQ is not usually very radical, usually a high or low shelf boost. His effects stay pretty consistant from day to day and mix to mix. What Mick does that is magical is the fader rides. That's when the fireworks start, and that is the main part of mixing. You have to make sure that the song is in perfect balance all the way through the song. Things have to poke through at the right moment and the build of the song has to strike an emotional chord in the listener.

I have to get a mix out now.

Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kidmixalot:
Few questions for you Steve. First off, I am assuming that "Mick" is a nickname for AW?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"Mick" is Mick Guzauski. Do an allmusic.com search for him.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:14 AM

I realize that knowing how AW does his stuff does not make my mixes like AW's. I have said this before in this thread and then re-quoted it. But I find that since its unlikely that I'll be watching AW mix any time real soon, it would be cool to know how one of the greatest mixers of all time works his craft. I'm not going to copy him based on what is said here, if he uses a Focusrite Red 3 on his mixes (and PeeTee are you sure about this?) that is cool, but I use an SSL 384, have for years, and will probably continue to.

Here is a question that is on my mind. AW says he uses a 480 and a PCM70... Does a guy like that use presets? Out of 57 posts, there is a lot of talk, but only a few details about AW's mixing techniques. I sincerely appreciate anyone who has seen him mix to chime in with some things that you know. And just one more time for the record.. "I realize that learning AW's mixing techniques will not make me mix like AW.. I realize that learning..."
Old 07-15-2003, 02:11 PM

Quote:
AW says he uses a 480 and a PCM70... Does a guy like that use presets? Out of 57 posts, there is a lot of talk, but only a few details about AW's mixing techniques.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">modified presets i think. nothing i havent seen a million other people use, but he has better results. he also had up AMS stuff, spx1000 i think or 990 , and a chorus on the h3000. mostly to effects that are cliche to almost all mixes.

but its in the balance that he gets his style, not the effects.