Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2022, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Pan Depth/Law questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
that essentially say the same thing.

If you're jumping or exporting from one DAW to another and expect your mix balance to be the same, then pan law matters.

and if you're mixing by moving things around with panning changing and passing through the center, then it matters

with fixed stereo positioning it just does not.

so playing with it in your DAW settings isn't going to make a difference on a mix you're starting from scratch.
what it WILL do is simply to change your balances when you first make the pan law change.

it's mostly irrelevant.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
that essentially say the same thing.

If you're jumping or exporting from one DAW to another and expect your mix balance to be the same, then pan law matters.

and if you're mixing by moving things around with panning changing and passing through the center, then it matters

with fixed stereo positioning it just does not.

so playing with it in your DAW settings isn't going to make a difference on a mix you're starting from scratch.
what it WILL do is simply to change your balances when you first make the pan law change.

it's mostly irrelevant.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:24 AM

“ Mostly irrelevant” - I’m not sure that’s quite true. I hate the *feel* of a pan law of 2.5dB, as in when you’re judging where to place something in space. It’s like the sound barely moves and then it’s suddenly at the side. It reminds me of the panning sliders on my old Fostex 4 track. With a setting like 4.5 (or if you’re really whacky like me, 6) you get a real sense of the sound being thrown around, of it actually *moving* - it -*feels* different, in this case more like an SSL E-series pan knob. (This is regardless of whether the pans are being automated or not, I’m talking about how you decide “where” something is in the balance.)

It’s a small thing I know, but I think these things matter. I was so happy when this feature was first introduced.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:55 AM

Okay, here's my take as a simple audio guy(no science, just my ears). It relates to how things sit in the middle, and when a stereo mix gets summed to mono(not by the engineer, but by the playback method, which we have little control over). This is why I suggest listening to the options, AND checking in mono(sorry I forgot to add that earlier).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2022, 10:44 AM

It sure makes a difference if you have to mix for the possibility that some people will hear it in stereo and others in mono.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-22-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
It sure makes a difference if you have to mix for the possibility that some people will hear it in stereo and others in mono.
People sometimes say to me "oh mono's not relevant anymore", forgetting about all those single "smart" speakers that thousands of people have...
Old 03-22-2022, 07:29 PM

But again, once you assign something to the center you balance it based in that level (whether it’s 3 down or 6 down relative to assigned to a side)
So mono compatibility isn’t dependent on pan law either.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
But again, once you assign something to the center you balance it based in that level (whether it’s 3 down or 6 down relative to assigned to a side)
So mono compatibility isn’t dependent on pan law either.
Not true. A mix balanced in mono with pan law at 6dB vs the same balance with pan law at 2.5dB will not sound the same in stereo.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 03-23-2022 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Not true. A mix balanced in mono with pan law at 6dB vs the same balance with pan law at 2.5dB will not sound the same in stereo.
Only if you're not mixing with your ears. WW's right - pan law has zero to do with mono compatibility - it only has to do with where you would put the faders to balance the mix in the first place and your preference for how the pan pot "feels" in the mix. Of course, if you change the pan law *after* the mix is finished, well...you've changed the mix.

Take the simplest case: If you have a 0 dBu tone, fader at 0 and centered and your pan law is 0 and that sounds correctly 'balanced' to you against the material in the sides, if you change the pan law to -6, the level of that centered tone will drop to -6dBu, so in order to sound correctly balanced you'll turn that fader up 6: end result is that the output will be the *SAME* in both mixes and of course the mono sum of the two mixes will be identical.

Pan law matters to the process of mixing and if you're moving stuff around actively during the mix - it's a preference, but in and of itself will not affect mono compatibility.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 03-23-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Only if you're not mixing with your ears. WW's right - pan law has zero to do with mono compatibility - it only has to do with where you would put the faders to balance the mix in the first place and your preference for how the pan pot "feels" in the mix. Of course, if you change the pan law *after* the mix is finished, well...you've changed the mix.

Take the simplest case: If you have a 0 dBu tone, fader at 0 and centered and your pan law is 0 and that sounds correctly 'balanced' to you against the material in the sides, if you change the pan law to -6, the level of that centered tone will drop to -6dBu, so in order to sound correctly balanced you'll turn that fader up 6: end result is that the output will be the *SAME* in both mixes and of course the mono sum of the two mixes will be identical.

Pan law matters to the process of mixing and if you're moving stuff around actively during the mix - it's a preference, but in and of itself will not affect mono compatibility.
Yes, this is all true, but the *stereo* versions of each won’t be perceived the same. Eg Something panned hard right with a 6dB pan *has* to sound louder than the same thing panned with 2.5dB pan, once you’ve adjusted the level so that they’re the same in mono. I’ll probably have to do a demo to prove my point as I’m a bit drunk and probably not making much sense.