Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Offline Bounce and Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressMix View Post
Here's a single string note with XPand using audid mute automation. This time the mute automation rendered.

Ordinary mix renders, green is offline, purple is realtime. The third red one is a realtime recording of the original instrument track back to another audio track through a bus. Also notice - with no gain changes anywhere, that the purple is actually louder than the other two.

Look at the timing differences of the three, they're all in different places.

Here's an up close view of the largest timing differences between the 3 prints, over (if I read this right) 500ms.

Win 7 64, MOTU PCI-424 Drivers
Is Delay Compensation on? I would imagine that would explain why your in-session bounce (red clip) would be that far back. It's recording after the audio has been Delay Compensated. No?

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 AM

Oh by the way. Dear Duc members, Avid has just forgotten to thank you for beta-testing PT11.

Unfortunately they forgot to beta test themselves before releasing PT11.

It is obviously not worth mentioning, that you will not be paid for finding those huge errors, that are just insane.

Timothy
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 AM

Fab Filter Twin is working fine.
Same mod wheel'd midi file with Vacuum not working. 11.0.1
MIDI Mod to db-33 (FX on Audio) cab-speed also not working in offline.

Last edited by DetroitT; 07-10-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Is Delay Compensation on? I would imagine that would explain why your in-session bounce (red clip) would be that far back. It's recording after the audio has been Delay Compensated. No?
Yes, it was on.

The only point there is that bounce should never result in a positioning being at a different place than the realtime playback, in any case. That the timing you hear on playback should be what you get on bounce, in any case. That's what you're asking for... "Print what I hear"... timing wise.

The third track is the print of the realtime playback, the timing of what I actually hear when I play that midi note. The potentially problematic thing there is that neither bounce is at the same start position as the realtime playback.

Anyway, I only posted it so AVID could see it. I assume they'll test it for themselves (with non-AVID ASIO cards at multiple different latencies) and see if there is an issue that needs addressing. As you can see, even though I've owned PT since version 7, I only have 9 posts here, so I'm not generally inclined to look for and report issues with PT... I kinda only recently joined the DUC and won't be posting much.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM

UVI workstation (2.1) working here. (the Mod Wheel - offline is working).
Seems to be an Air issue.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
...with no gain changes anywhere, that the purple is actually louder than the other two.
Look at the timing differences of the three, they're all in different places...
Thanks for the detailed posts. Eng is investigating and asked for a copy of your session file. I started a support case so you can reply to that with a zipped copy (if willing).
-jc
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
UVI workstation (2.1) working here. (the Mod Wheel - offline is working).
Seems to be an Air issue.
Thanks for that info. It does seem to be specific plug-ins so we are continuing to investigate.
-jc
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
No, no... Don't confuse such an error with such a concept. ADC is not supposed to record at a different position or be the cause for a missplaced clip, unless we are talking about a big bug on ADC.

The only thing ADC is supposed to do is playback each track with an adjusted delay so each track sounds exactly when its supposed to sound - but at the same time, it's supposed to place any recording where it was supposed to be. If anything, ADC should ensure that your recording is precisely on spot.

What you suggest would make sense only if he was switching ADC on and off between takes - if you record something with latency while ADC is off, then it will be recorded late, not the other way around.

So, if sending something to a bus and recording it while having ADC on gives you a missplaced clip, you are looking at a big bug.

Francisco

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was on.

The only point there is that bounce should never result in a positioning being at a different place than the realtime playback, in any case. That the timing you hear on playback should be what you get on bounce, in any case. That's what you're asking for... "Print what I hear"... timing wise.

The third track is the print of the realtime playback, the timing of what I actually hear when I play that midi note. The potentially problematic thing there is that neither bounce is at the same start position as the realtime playback.

Anyway, I only posted it so AVID could see it. I assume they'll test it for themselves (with non-AVID ASIO cards at multiple different latencies) and see if there is an issue that needs addressing. As you can see, even though I've owned PT since version 7, I only have 9 posts here, so I'm not generally inclined to look for and report issues with PT... I kinda only recently joined the DUC and won't be posting much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
No, no... Don't confuse such an error with such a concept. ADC is not supposed to record at a different position or be the cause for a missplaced clip, unless we are talking about a big bug on ADC.

The only thing ADC is supposed to do is playback each track with an adjusted delay so each track sounds exactly when its supposed to sound - but at the same time, it's supposed to place any recording where it was supposed to be. If anything, ADC should ensure that your recording is precisely on spot.

What you suggest would make sense only if he was switching ADC on and off between takes - if you record something with latency while ADC is off, then it will be recorded late, not the other way around.

So, if sending something to a bus and recording it while having ADC on gives you a missplaced clip, you are looking at a big bug.

Francisco

Yes, but we are not talking about recording an external input here. The bus you are using to route this audio to an audio track is effectively a Master channel. You are recording the output of that Master channel back into the session. The audio that's being output on that Master channel is not playing back at the same location as the original audio clips. It's being delayed. So if I'm outputting that Master signal to a new audio track, then that new audio is going to also reflect that delay compensation since Pro Tools only records audio where it actually "hears" audio. For Pro Tools to be able to have recorded delay compensated audio line up with the original audio, Pro Tools would have to actually physically move that newly recorded audio on the timeline, which is not the nature of Pro Tools since Pro Tools is supposed to place audio exactly where it sees the audio being input. This is how I've always understood it.

But now that I think about it, was there even any delay compensation being made in this case? Being that there's only an instrument plugin, the latency should be 0. Or did you have plugins on the original track?

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 07-12-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post

Francisco
You need to remember that the original poster was bouncing a midi track -> virtual synth, not an audio track. Midi is not the same thing, and behaves differently with respect to ADC. Midi and ADC still need some "ironing-out" in my opinion.