Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2004, 10:10 PM

Default I\'m hoping...

That someone can help me with this midi sync question...

Currently, i'm attempting to Midi sync my digi 001 (PT LE 5.3.1) to my Mpc2000xl. I'm praying that someone has a set up like this. I set my MPC to accept midi in with Midi Clock... had the digi midi out to the MPC midi in... pushed the clock button on the transport bar, hit record and play... and nothing happened. So then I tried Midi Time Code.... pushed the clock button, record.. play.. and still nothing.... Why not?

When I switched and did Midi Time Code out from my MPC to In on my digi 001, and set the frame rate at 24, it worked, but it was like a LOT of latency. I have it on low latency monitoring as well as have the H/W buffer size at 128 samples and CPU at 85%.... Its like a whole 2 beats delay. Man, I cant get it to work good at all. How can I lower the latency if I use the MPC as the master? And how can i set up where i can use PT as the master? And once I get that to work, what can I do to make sure latency is at a minimum?

My friend has a similar setup to me, and his works great... lightning speed, but someone else set his up, so he has no clue what to do about it...

SOMEONE HELP!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Re: I\'m hoping...

Made a small advance, but it's still a little problem.

When I set the MPC to Mode:Midi Time Code, with frame rate 30.... and Recieve MMC o
And set PT to Midi Machine Control Enabled... Sent to Digi 001, ID 127, and Preroll: 90 frames

And I hit record and play, it triggers the MPC very fast, but then it doesn't record any sound... it just comes up as a long empty box, not even a flat line... just empty
Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 AM

make sure you set the 2 to the same kind of timecode. One at 30 drop frame and the other at 30 non drop frame is problems in the future.

Also realize that a protools session starts at 1:00:00:00 by default. So maybe eveyrhitng is working out perfectly, but you have to set that start-time to a different value, or change the start-time of the song in the MPC.

Do a few check. In ptle in the session-setup window you can see the timecode thats being received via MTC. Make sure you see that moving. You can probably do the same with your MPC somehow.

I think the you can trim out the latency by playing with the "offset" value in the sesison-setup window.

Bastiaan
Old 03-08-2004, 08:13 AM

you don't need timecode at all, just midi beat clock. i don't remember the settings you need on the mpc, but i've done it before and it sync'd up perfectly.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Try selecting the wait for note button instead of the clock on the transport. After you hit record and play in PT push play on your MPC. PT won't start recording until you hit the MPC play button and everything will line up perfectly. It worked fine for me.

Quote:
That someone can help me with this midi sync question...

Currently, i'm attempting to Midi sync my digi 001 (PT LE 5.3.1) to my Mpc2000xl. I'm praying that someone has a set up like this. I set my MPC to accept midi in with Midi Clock... had the digi midi out to the MPC midi in... pushed the clock button on the transport bar, hit record and play... and nothing happened. So then I tried Midi Time Code.... pushed the clock button, record.. play.. and still nothing.... Why not?

When I switched and did Midi Time Code out from my MPC to In on my digi 001, and set the frame rate at 24, it worked, but it was like a LOT of latency. I have it on low latency monitoring as well as have the H/W buffer size at 128 samples and CPU at 85%.... Its like a whole 2 beats delay. Man, I cant get it to work good at all. How can I lower the latency if I use the MPC as the master? And how can i set up where i can use PT as the master? And once I get that to work, what can I do to make sure latency is at a minimum?

My friend has a similar setup to me, and his works great... lightning speed, but someone else set his up, so he has no clue what to do about it...

SOMEONE HELP!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 PM

Aight let me tell ya'll whats happenin now..

I set it up where the Digi 001 is sending the MPC by going to Periphials, Machine Control, then enabling Midi Machine Control.... put SEND TO: DigiDesign Digi 001, ID 127, Preroll: 24 frames....

The MPC Midi/Sync Screen is like this:
Mode: Midi Clock.... SHift Early 0... Revieve MMC: On...

Now when I hit midi clock, record play on the transport bar, the beat plays from the MPC, but nothing records on Pro Tools, all i get is this long ****, empty, white bar.... whatsup with that?

and oh yea, the stop button flashes with it, and I don't even get a flat line in the empty box, no sound at all shows
Old 03-08-2004, 10:01 PM

Forget about MMC.. and just use MTC and S/PDIF to lock the MPC and Pro Tools. The MPC will always lose the first beat of bar 1.. so program a 1 bar count off.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-08-2004, 10:27 PM

Okay, so can u step by step me on how to do that? You gotta remember, i'm new to Pro Tools, as well as Midi-syncing, and really i'm just LOST
Old 03-08-2004, 10:58 PM

I don't have an MPC here.. but you have to go to the MPC's sync page and use MTC and set up the frame rate to 30fps, the start time/offset 01:00:00:00. Feed an RCA from the S/PDIF output of your MPC to your 002's S/PDIF input. Set the sample rate of the MPC and Pro Tools session to the same.

In Pro Tools open the Session Setup Window (Ctrl+2) and set the session start to 01:00:00:00 and the frame rate to 30fps - and the clock source to external S/PDIF RCA. Check the MTC to port button and assign a MIDI output. Put Pro Tools online (Ctrl+J).

Feed the MIDI cable from Pro Tools to your MPC using the ports you've assigned.

Press play on the MPC and it should wait for sync.. press play in Pro Tools.

As I said - this is from memory off the top of my head.. so hopefully I haven't forgotten anything.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-09-2004, 05:33 AM

You'll need to connect midi and send both MMC(midi machine code, which tells the devices to start, stop, rewind, etc.) and MTC(which tels them at what speed to run.)