Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > System 5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:47 PM
greco

Default PlugIn does not show up on Softknob

Hi everyone,

does anybody experience the same problem as I do concerning the following scenario:

On my MC-Pro (EuConMC 3.1.3, EuCon WS 3.2.1) while working with Logic X (10.1.1) and Yosemite (10.10.2):
In the Soft-knob section I insert a plugIn by pressing the ”Insert“ button and then choosing a plugIn of any kind, as usual.
The plugIn is then inserted, as can be seen in Logics mixer window.

BUT:
the Softknobs button-LCD stays blank and does not show the actually inserted, invisible plugIn.
When pressing the corresponding BLANK Insert button in the Softknob section to access the single parameters of the inserted plugIn, the parameters all show up, as it should be, and they can be edited then.
But, on the Softknobs display in the INSERT area the LCD shows nothing and stays blank, so that you cannot see what plugIn is actually inserted on the corresponding buttons... Confusing when having loads of plugIns inserted!

I hope to have explained the problem clear enough...?!

Anybody out there having the same problem to deal with?

ps:
it does not have anything to do with Yosemite. I also had this problem before, while using Mavericks...
Old 03-08-2015, 03:46 AM
greco

Default Re: PlugIn does not show up on Softknob

Really NOONE facing similar problems or willing to give an opinion on this?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:54 PM

I don't have a solution for you but there are many threads that discuss problems using Yosemite and Eucon with the artist MC series (even with Pro-Tools). It seems like eucon is really buggy with Yosemite (not supported yet).

See this thread for example:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362200
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 03-10-2015, 03:17 AM
greco

Thanks, Serge, for your reply!

As I mentioned above, I also had this with Mavericks. Seems to be again incompatible scenarios between EuCon and Logic X...
But, definitely far too long time no hear from Avid concerning those mentioned problems.

So, as a matter of fact:
they stop supporting SME/SMP for Mac, they take their time or not even seem to be really interested in ”solving" software-issues with third party hosts, especially with Apple/Logic, no feedback at all from Avid-support... Really great support!

If they aim at getting more customers switching from host ”X“ to Avid products...
I’m thinking about selling my MC-Pro, instead!
In ”Euphonix“-times gone by such an insufficient scenario wouldn’t have ever been possible...
An entirely evidence of incapacity!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Avid

Hi Greco,
We have not seen this behavior when we run the MCPro with Logic.
When did this problem first appear? Did you see this problem with Logic 10.0?

Also, do you ever see text on that one LCD? Is it possible that this could be a defective button?
If you would prefer to discuss this via email, click on my name, and you should see an option to send me a message directly.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:35 AM
greco

Hello H.G.,

I've just sent you a private message with a full description of the problem.
The buttons all work fine, by the way, and they are definitely not defective...
Old 07-27-2015, 07:09 AM
greco

So, I’ve posted this issue with the ”plugIn does not show up on soft knob“ in March 2015!
H.G. Hollans kindly forwarded this issue to the AVID-support, and they told him, that they were able to reproduce this issue, and they furthermore told him, that this issue would be listed as a bug!
This happened more than 4 months ago.

Until today the AVID-support was not (or doesn’t want to be) able to solve this problem with a little minor update...??? The only thing happened was an update concerning Yosemite support.
Or don’t they really want to solve it, for it ”just" refers to a Logic X-specific problem?

I surely will never ever use AVID-hardware again and I will sell my MC-Pro! It’s a real pity that AVID bought Euphonix!
Actually I’ve been interested in buying an AVID S6 console - but IN NO WAY after this scenario, what for should one be spending lots of money in anticipation of NO SUPPORT AT ALL?!

Poor!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Avid

I’m sorry you have not heard anything more about this issue but I can assure you it is on the MCPro backlog. Yes we did manage to reproduce it once but haven’t since and without a solid repro it’s difficult for engineering to work on. I suspect by the lack of others reporting this, it’s a hard one to catch. We are working on a MCPro release at the moment so any help you can give us would be appreciated. I know you have answered a bunch of questions before but wanted to check a few things. You said with EQ and DYN plugins but what about others like Reverb ? Is it every time you instantiate a plugin or are there times its worse like on a fresh startup, WS reboot, large track counts etc. Does this happen if you instantiate the plugins from within Logic and what do you do to fix the issue (reboot, reload session etc.)
Look forward to hearing from you, Eddie
P.S. The issue has a high chance of being on Apples side as you say it was OK in Logic 9 but if it is we’ll obviously pass it on to them.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:04 PM
greco

Hello Eddie,

it concerns EVERY Insert-Button, no matter if EQ, DYN, REVERB, ...
I insert any plugIn and then, after inserting it, I press the corresponding button (INSERT 1, INSERT 2, ...) in which I just inserted the plugIn, to see and edit it, but every button-display remains blank then.
But when I press this „blank“ button (on which the inserted plugIn definitely is instantiated) I definitely get to the single plugIn parameters, I see the LCD text as usual and as it should be and everything works like it should.
It doesn’t matter, if it’s a fresh startup, WS reboot, large track counts etc. And it doesn’t matter if I instantiate the plugins from within Logic or from the MC...
I unfortunately can do nothing to fix the issue. I have to be working with those blank buttons since then...

And it is definitely a Logic-X/EuCon/Yosemite issue, because when I switch back to Logic 9 everything is perfect. It has nothing to do with the MC’S hardware, it is a software problem...

Please, Eddie, see my message below that I wrote to H.G.Hollans a few months ago.

Thank you for your reply!

”Hello H.G.,

thank you for your reply!
I try to answer your questions as followed:

"When did this problem first appear? Did you see this problem with Logic 10.0?"

I’ve never had a problem like this while using Logic 9.
I have never installed Logic X (10.0), because I’d installed an already updated, later Logic X version, I guess it was the first or second update of Logic X... So I cannot tell about the behavior of the Softknob-buttons under Logic 10.0.
Now I use the latest version of Logic, the latest version of EuConMC and the latest version of EuConWS on the latest Yosemite version...

”Also, do you ever see text on that one LCD? Is it possible that this could be a defective button?“

Yes, of course I do. ”INSERT, ”DYN", ”EQ", ”GROUP“, ”INPUT“, ...).
And no, it’s not a defective button. I just tested it with Logic 9 again, every button works like it is supposed to. It concerns EVERY button in INSERT-Mode, AFTER a plugIn is inserted.
It obviously is a Logic X - EuCon-issue, something is definitely wrong.

See... if I insert a plugIn on a track, I press the Insert button on the MC-Pro, then I select the plugIn and confirm it, as usual. And the plugIn is inserted then.
BUT: if I then enter the INSERT button again to see the inserted plugIn (the corresponding name, to get to plugIn-parameters), there are NO plugins (no names of the inserted plugIns) to be found on ANY button in INSERT-Mode.
Every button remains blank, although there are definitely plugIns inserted.
And when I press one of those BLANK buttons (on which the actual plugIn should be displayed), I CAN enter the single parameters of the plug In that I want to edit and the edit-parameters ALL show up...
It is JUST the INSERT buttons (all of them), that should show the names of the inserted plugIns, that stay blank, even though there are PlugIns inserted, as one can see in the mixer-window of Logic.

I hope I described this case good enough, so that you are able to understand what I mean?

Just go ahead and try this using Logic (latest version) and your MC-Pro. You should then get to know what the problem actually is.
It is really frustrating and annoying, not to be able to see any, inserted plugIn name, if you have tons of them inserted... (

Thanks in advance for your reply, H.G."
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Avid

Thank you, I'll do my best to try and sort out what is going on.