Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Frequent Playback Engine Problems? Read!

I was having seriously severe playback problems in Pro Tools for the entire past week (I just got the mbox). The playback engine notice kept popping up informing me to adjust settings, etc, and it seemed like I couldn't barely get through a 20 second portion of audio before another one popped right back up and interupted play. It was lame. I was sad. Because it really looked like I wasn't going to be able to run PT on my system, for whatever incompatiblity reasons there were.

I decided to give it one last shot and upgrade my RAM. I just got the chip today, and I have to honestly say, DO NOT undermine the importance of having your system running fast when it comes to PT. I have YET to get one single error since the RAM upgrade, and I now even have Waves Platinum installed, and it runs at phenominal speeds.

I realize RAM isn't the solution for every Pro Tools problem faced. But I just wanted to share that info for anyone that might be experiencing a similar problem. The RAM upgrade was critical to a smooth running, and now fully functioning Pro Tools LE system.

Happy Tooling
Old 11-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Frequent Playback Engine Problems? Read!

You don't say how much RAM you had before or after, but yes, running with less than 384M with any version of ProTools on Windows XP is likely to give unsatisfactory performance.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You don't say how much RAM you had before or after, but yes, running with less than 384M with any version of ProTools on Windows XP is likely to give unsatisfactory performance.
Sorry bro, good point. I should have included more info.

I had previously something like 256, and just added an additional 512 MB of Ram. Running lovely. I am sooooooooo very pleased with the outcome.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:33 PM

i don't even know how you managed to even open a new session with 256 MB of RAM...I tried but I could not, I had to go and buy more RAM the same day I got my mbox...and then I played with it for a few days and exchanged it for an 002r