Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 03:57 AM

Default Re: When will Sonoma be supported on PT?

Can confirm: Plug-in search by name works in 2023.9 on Sonoma 16.0.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:21 AM

I bought a refurb 2018 Mini 32G machine the other day. To port over everything from my now retired 2014, had to update the new machine to Sonoma, where everything works as it should PT wise. Re-authorized some plugins, and I’m golden.

So yeah, Sonoma seems like a good bet for PT…other DAW not so much

2017 Intel Mac Mini, 32G, PT 2023.12 Studio, Presonus Quantum 2626 and a bunch of stuff via ADAT
Old 11-03-2023, 12:59 PM

I am running PT (booting from an external M.2 SSD) with Sonoma (14.1) on a Mac Studio. Slowly adding 3rd party plug-ins. Fabfilter seem to be fine as are a few of the IZotope plugins installed (Ozone 11, Nectar and Neutron) and PSP Audioware. FWIW Studio One seems to be behaving properly as well. All that aside, the Mac Studio internal SSD drive is still Ventura, which is solid.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 11-03-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
I am running PT (booting from an external M.2 SSD) with Sonoma (14.1) on a Mac Studio. Slowly adding 3rd party plug-ins. Fabfilter seem to be fine as are a few of the IZotope plugins installed (Ozone 11, Nectar and Neutron) and PSP Audioware. FWIW Studio One seems to be behaving properly as well. All that aside, the Mac Studio internal SSD drive is still Ventura, which is solid.

Bro how!!!!
My Pro Tools is constantly crashing!

Im on a Mac Studio M1 Max Sonoma 14.1 32GB Ram Base model 500gb
(Pro Tools Version 2021.7.0)

If I record without messing with any plugins, it'll run fine but the moment I open a plugin I get the spinning wheel. EVERY TIME

I checked the activity monitor while its in hang time %cpu 51.4 smh

Last edited by unodagr8; 11-03-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unodagr8 View Post
Bro how!!!!

If I record without messing with any plugins, it'll run fine but the moment I open a plugin I get the spinning wheel. EVERY TIME

Other users are probably unlikely to be able to guess why you are having problems. Many folks who have Pro Tools running on Sonoma OK just installed it, other folks seemingly do the same and have a much worse time. I've not seen much clue as to why.

You need to run though all the standard troubleshooting and optimization stuff under "help us help you" up the top of ever DUC web page. Hopefully that might help you'll find something. I've beaten my head against that a little and am still having instability with 14.0, I'm moving to 14.1 and will give it a more serious try. On a beefy Intel MBP.

"without messing with plugins" -- you mean without instantiating any plugins???? Unfortunately that is *not* a thorough troubleshooting test for plugin problems with Pro Tools. Just having a plugin installed in Pro Tools can cause all sorts of problems even if you don't use it. You should be temporarily moving the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder. As a minimum move them all out and just test with the core plugins that Pro Tools will automatically reinstall. You likely need to be working though that standard troubleshooting list to increase the chance of making progress here, but that may still not be enough.

If you accidentally updated to Sonoma and don't have time to troubleshoot more than I'd be moving back to a supported OS. Either restore from backup or maybe do a new install of Ventura hopefully you have enough space to just add a new volume for Ventura on the boot drive to do this. If you don't have good backups, then before doing anything else, solve that problem.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Many folks who have Pro Tools running on Sonoma OK just installed it
Not only that but people who've installed it and are NOT having issues are far less likely to come here to tell us about it, so our perception of how it's actually working in the field is askew.

I'm still going to wait awhile before putting it on the busy production Mac, but I'm less nervous as time goes by.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Other users are probably unlikely to be able to guess why you are having problems. Many folks who have Pro Tools running on Sonoma OK just installed it, other folks seemingly do the same and have a much worse time. I've not seen much clue as to why.

You need to run though all the standard troubleshooting and optimization stuff under "help us help you" up the top of ever DUC web page. Hopefully that might help you'll find something. I've beaten my head against that a little and am still having instability with 14.0, I'm moving to 14.1 and will give it a more serious try. On a beefy Intel MBP.

"without messing with plugins" -- you mean without instantiating any plugins???? Unfortunately that is *not* a thorough troubleshooting test for plugin problems with Pro Tools. Just having a plugin installed in Pro Tools can cause all sorts of problems even if you don't use it. You should be temporarily moving the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder. As a minimum move them all out and just test with the core plugins that Pro Tools will automatically reinstall. You likely need to be working though that standard troubleshooting list to increase the chance of making progress here, but that may still not be enough.

If you accidentally updated to Sonoma and don't have time to troubleshoot more than I'd be moving back to a supported OS. Either restore from backup or maybe do a new install of Ventura hopefully you have enough space to just add a new volume for Ventura on the boot drive to do this. If you don't have good backups, then before doing anything else, solve that problem.
it doesn't just start crashing when I open a plugin, I could be bypassing a plugin and it'll start to hang... maybe uninstalling my plugins will work BUT it was running just fine on Ventura smh. I hope they come out with a pro tools for apple silicone soon!
Old 11-04-2023, 07:35 AM

I would be rich man if I got a dollar every time someone complains "PT worked on earlier supported OS but now I have problems after upgrading to unsupported OS"
Old 11-04-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
it doesn't just start crashing when I open a plugin, I could be bypassing a plugin and it'll start to hang... maybe uninstalling my plugins will work BUT it was running just fine on Ventura smh.
Pro Tools seems to be running fine on Ventura (or Monterey etc.) for most people who are seeing problems with it on Sonoma.

Again having plugins installed at all can cause many types of issues. Since problems are often caused by plugins most troubleshooting tries to early on remove the .aaxplugin files and ideally confirming quickly if the problem persists or not with only the core plugins installed. It is a simple and very useful quick test. If the system seems stable with only core plugins then go hunting for the culprit plugin by putting .aaxplugin files back in batches.

Very likely there are problems on Sonoma that affect some installs and that has nothing to do with incompatible plugins but you should not assume your install is not having plugin, or other common problems. You have to run the standard troubleshooting steps yourself to see. There have been concerns with some interface drivers on Sonoma, again that gets tested for by just following the standard troubleshooting and testing with the Mac built in output/speakers.

Quote:
I hope they come out with a pro tools for apple silicone soon!
Pro Tools has had Apple Silicon support since 2023.3, experimental support since 2022.12. There seems to be some sort of macOS compatibility issue going on here, the problem is not that Pro Tools does not support Apple silicon.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Bro how!!!!

Maybe it's because I'm running PT version 2023.9.0. Installed AAS (Applied Acoustics Systems) plugins and so far so good. (Silicon Native)
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)