Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Re: So point releases aren't going to be free?

Just have somebody sent you a download of 11.3.2. iLok doesn't see subversions they only see what main version you have such as 10, 11 or/and 12.

You won't be breaking any rules or policies if somebody sends you a copy but I can tell you that if Avid releases sub versions of PT 11 to PT12 users and they don't release them to PT 11 users then they are breaking their own rules and policies. But either way let Avid do what they are doing because in the end its going to hurt them.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just post this here and let it be.

News flash: 11.3.2 is very flawed, so it's hardly worth all of the trouble. I own HDX, it was in my downloads, and as I'm having some minor glitches with 11.3.1 I figured I'd give it a go late last week. It was crap from the start. I'm talking beachballs. Closing itself down when opening up existing sessions. Crashing while loading Mini Grand! Just crap. I had no tolerance, so I went back to 11.3.1, which is certainly the lesser of evils. I updated again this morning just to see if I'd missed something but no...it's crap.

11.3.1 is the end of the road for me and Avid. I bought HDX because I expected that the newer technology (including 64-bit architecture, the 2012-era processors versus 2003) would be a dramatic improvement over TDM. In many ways, it is: the sound has been off the charts in my opinion; my new plugs, I'm really happy with them. But in terms of the collective ecosphere –where developers bought into RTAS and made lots of great plugs *dedicated to the processing power we bought*, and Digidesign was actually passionate about its work – that's all very clearly all gone now. No amount of crying on the DUC is bringing that back.

Every so often I look at Avid's really awful website to try to figure out what all the fuss is about PT12. It doesn't take much looking at the website to realize that ProTools has slipped into obscurity and Avid has a lot of other priorities – and it's not us. There's just no there there.

The pricing extortion programs are insulting. I'm not the first to say it, and I won't be the last. But it reeks of mobsters coming into our studios telling us that they need protection money – or else. All of the other complaints have been well-documented. They're all true, and none of us should assume that things will ever be what we remembered when ProTools was the result of a company that had deep connectivity to its customer base.

The truth is that ProTools peaked many, many years ago. Some say 7.4 – that was a kick ass release, wasn't it? I think 11 is about as good as its gonna get in this new era. It's not like there's much left to invent. So my MacPro will stay at 10.10.5, PT will remain at 11.3.2, and I'll accept that in three to five years my MacPro will call it a day and I'll be back to square one.

But regardless, there'll be no more money for you Avid. You'll need to go play somewhere else now. And, uh, good luck with that.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 PM

Very confused long time user here. Not sure what to do at all.

I've had to buy a second computer to run El Capitan/ Xcode (which always has to be updated to the latest OS for development) and ProTools (always behind new OS development). Right now I don't even know what's compatible with what, what Avid wants me to pay, what OS/PT version combos are stable, what OS version Apple is still signing for my ProTools rig, and where AVID are going with this whole operation.

What a mess.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder View Post
News flash: 11.3.2 is very flawed, so it's hardly worth all of the trouble.
See, I've had the total OPPOSITE experience.

With 11.3.1 I'd get constant AAX errors - out of CPU with the barest of bare sessions. Start play again and it would work fine. Of course it would, my CPU was barely hitting 15%!! Then, another AAX error.

Install 11.3.2 - smooth sailing again. Fixed all my issues. Nothing else changed on my system except the PT update.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:19 AM

AVID is the most innovative company in the world.

I check this place every couple of weeks and every time I come back they have found a new way to completely screw their customers.

Since ProTools 11 we've had:

* Subscription model (we have nothing new, give us money anyway)
* 12 release with no new features (well, a new splash screen)
* the LIE that 11.x releases will be free
* 11.3.2. rollout to subscribers only

With every new kick in the teeth to it's user base I think "this is it, it cannot get worse than this" yet they ALWAYS find a way to screw us.

This time is the first time that they have LIED openly to their customers.

Personally I could not care less, because I've switched to Nuendo a while ago, which I prefer for audio post anyway (and I have HD, so I actually got the update). But this is really new. They used to be careful with their phrases, now they just don't seem to care for their customers at all anymore.

As I said: The most innovative company on earth.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 AM

not to be a nudge, but i found this is 10 seconds ..

"Right now I don't even know what's compatible with what, what Avid wants me to pay, what OS/PT version combos are stable, what OS version Apple is still signing for my ProTools rig"

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...ware/licensing

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-16-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
not to be a nudge, but i found this is 10 seconds ..

"Right now I don't even know what's compatible with what, what Avid wants me to pay, what OS/PT version combos are stable, what OS version Apple is still signing for my ProTools rig"

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...ware/licensing
Hi John,

THANK YOU! I had bookmarked an old version of this page, and was not seeing all of the up-to-date options. This answers pretty much all of my questions.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
This time is the first time that they have LIED openly to their customers.
however true, it will be spun as such "Avid reserves the right to change the policy at any time."

So it was a policy change.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Needs more than just screaming at their CS reps.

This needs to be taken public, to the press and social media. Nothing changes a company's policies faster than a bout a bad PR.
That, and the thin blue line that traces the company's market value through time.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
however true, it will be spun as such "Avid reserves the right to change the policy at any time."

So it was a policy change.....
Ahh, yes, politics. Ever wonder why more lawyer's become politicians than any other profession?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.