Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Default AudioSuite Render Behavior

With apologies to everyone who is smarter than I am (which would be nearly all of you) I just wanted to point out a little PT10 quirk to those who are a little slow like me.

Depending on the show and the network I will sometimes apply an L2 across an act before I ship it back to the editor (don't judge). The first few times I did this in PT10 it made me a little nuts, because despite hitting the Render button and watching the progress window do its thing, the resulting file on the timeline wasn't a complete file--when you highlighted it in the Clip List it wasn't bolded, and hence could not be navigated to and shipped to the editor.

Confused and unwilling to read the Reference, I got around this by consolidating the whole act yet again and sending that to the editor. Very wasteful of disk space, and sometimes cost me all of 10-12 seconds I could have been looking at Facebook.

I'm thrilled that AudioSuite now has handles, but I would warn mixers as dense as I am that the default behavior is to include handles on everything. That means that all those times I rendered from the L2 a complete file did indeed exist, but it wasn't the one on the timeline until I trimmed out the handles at each end. Then voila, there it was. Only problem was that the act was now 4 seconds longer than what the editor gave me, and they can get testy about that.

So my advice, if you process on an act-by-act basis, is to go to Preferences/Processing and click the Whole File button. That way you can assemble an act mix in as many pieces as you want, then highlight the whole mess and render it with some kind of AS plug (I think the MetaFlanger across an entire act would be dramatic) and you're done. And the file is exactly the same length as the highlight was.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Default Re: AudioSuite Render Behavior

Or set handle length to zero? That's what I do.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 AM

Preferences - Processing Preferences - Top Left Hand Corner
(Pro Tools Reference Guide , Page 134)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-o- View Post
Or set handle length to zero? That's what I do.
Which of course is the correct method. The handles will still appear with Whole File selected. Doh!
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
Which of course is the correct method. The handles will still appear with Whole File selected. Doh!
I'm not in front of the system now, but isn't there a dropdown list on the audiosuite plug, where you can select "create individual file" or similar wording. Does that not then get rid of handles, if you select "0" for handles?

Best,
Timothy