Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 01:33 PM

Default SSD is BROKEN??

HI guys. I said some really mean things to our SSD the other day & now it sits Blinking.. No resolve lights Just the 29.97 & the 30 FPS lights blink with one of the green lights to the right of it ( calibration)

Has it Died? A colleague says it has a ram battery that needs replacing. HELP HELP SOS
Old 10-22-2001, 02:10 PM

Default Re: SSD is BROKEN??

Yeah, that happens sometimes. You need to flash the ram in the unit. I'm not in front of mine so I can't give you exact instructions, but you need to go to the SSD software and under one of the pull down menues you will find the option you need to do. I think you power up the unit holding down a couple of buttons and hit "Update" or something like that. Good luck.

drBill
Old 10-23-2001, 11:54 AM

This may or may not be relevant, but our USD had the lock light blink for apparently no reason. We had frame rate and sync source selected correctly. Turns out that the unit had mysteriously set itself to PAL. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Setting the unit back to NTSC solved the problem. Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:18 PM

I can't believe that is so simple! I had that problem a year and a half ago, and the Digi dealer in Colombia told me it was cheaper to replace it than fixing it, because of international shipping costs and local taxes, so I ended buying a MTP AV.

Is that in the manuals? I remember reading everything!

Can I connect the SSD to the Mix serial port, or do I need a serial port on the mac?

I am not using that beige computer anymore!

I would like to have my SSD back!
I hate to keep checking sample rates of sessions!

Thanks,

Ricardo
Old 10-24-2001, 12:46 AM

Dr Bill is right, your SSD firmware has been corrupted. This happens to mine with some frequency when it gets hit with time code in high speed reverse.

Fortunately, the fix is rather easy. Make sure you have the SSD setup software v1.3 or 1.3.1.

Very important: restart your Mac with OMS off (I usually restart holding down the shift key to have all extensions off). The SSD software can't do the firmware upgrade if OMS is running.

Start the SSD Setup software and select "Update" from the menu. The software will prompt you to restart your SSD in update mode by power cycling it and holding in any button on the unit when you power it up.

Click start - it takes about a minute to update.

Restart your Mac and you are ready to go.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:04 PM

Thanks AMG for the exact sequence of flashing the SSD! I usually have both OMS and Freemidi inits up and running on my computer and haven't had any problems flashing the SSD when they are on, but if I ever have any problems I'll try re-booting with them OFF.

Ricardo, I'm still using a serial Mac, so I don't know if you can update using the mix card serial port. It's worth a try though. Sorry to hear you got bad info about the SSD. I believe that exact directions are on page 11 of the SSD manual.

Also a side note: You don't have to have the SSD software installed to run the SSD with PT, but you DO have to have it installed to "update" the SSD when (and I do mean when http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb//images/icons/frown.gif) it gets wigged out.

Best of luck.

drBill