Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2023, 11:56 AM

Default Re: DANTE and HDX card Max I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Start View Post
RobertDorn, I will have to try everything you mentioned when I'm able.

I also didn't realize, based on my conversation yesterday with DAD, that you can still use the I/O Setup's Insert page as normal with DAD/Avid-branded DAD products. A bit of confusion sounds like.

Replies appreciated.
ah you mean the HW Insert tab in Pro Tools' I/O setup specifically. Yes it's stupid that you have to fill in manually with an Avid MTRX and not with an Avid HD I/O.

But on the other hand, LUCKILY it's there, so that also with a non-Avid-branded product , so any thinkable interface including an Apollo, you can just measure your HW insert delay manually once and be done. So that you'll have sample accurate HW insert delay compensation with any brand audio interface possible.

EDIT: imagine patching an outboard device with an AES/EBU send and return, Pro Tools nor a MTRX could ever possibly know the number of sample delay added with the external devices conversion latency. So again then, luckily it's there to just measure once and fill in manually (at a few sample rates you work on) and have a solid sample accurate HW insert patch.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
But on the other hand, LUCKILY it's there, so that also with a non-Avid-branded product , so any thinkable interface including an Apollo, you can just measure your HW insert delay manually once and be done.
Once for each sample rate, and then you have to remember to use the correct I/O settings each time, which is easy to miss. Less of an issue for post I suppose, but for music I'm frequently working at all four common sample rates.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Once for each sample rate, and then you have to remember to use the correct I/O settings each time, which is easy to miss. Less of an issue for post I suppose, but for music I'm frequently working at all four common sample rates.
It's annoying. I know. But as long as I have a MTRX I didn't find it much of a problem. Still mix about everything music in 48khz so when I want to patch a location recording through my Shelford channels back in the studio my HW insert is just set at 1.00 ms for AD>DA and it's working all fine:)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
just thinking out loud, an exported I/O setup template in pro tools, if I'm right, also contains the HW Insert delay numbers. So for the heavy outboard-patchers out there, wouldn't it be smart to measure once, and save your whole I/O template as an MTRX48.pio till MTRX192.pio file. Then only load or import your I/O setup profile for the corresponding sample rate and be done in one click:)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
True. However, depending on what kind of overdubs, if it's only a vocal overdub, if I go for the MTRX II with Thunderbolt (but the same can be done with an AX64), I'll consider making a patch in dadman from the vocal pre directly to the monitor unit, using LLM in Pro Tools. In fact I prefer this workflow (got really used to it when I was still on an Apollo ) because you can hear the talent all the time, not running through pro tools, and whether you overdub on a lead vocal, or a bus-processed backing vocal panned all the way over the stereo field, you / and the talent will only have 1 steady monitor sound. With the 'allow sends to persist in LLM' preference, a verb send is even audible.

When overdubbing multichannel instruments in a crowded session, HDX still is the only way to go.
Yes, I tend to do it like this too.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 04-16-2023, 12:43 PM

In fact, I was told—sounds like my question maybe wasn't fully understood—that there aren't really proper HW inserts in DADman, which is true when you restrict it to DADman only. But I mentioned I'd be using it with Pro Tools, to which he made no mention of still being able to use the INSERTS tab in Pro Tools itself and manually enter latency, by which you can then use PT HW inserts like you always did. But you guys have just confirmed that all that is possible. So that's a relief.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:46 PM

Right, there aren't hardware inserts in DADman, and actually that is something that could be useful (for example, for integrating external speaker processing whilst using the MTRX converters).