Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 PM

Default What is OMS functionality?

Just recently, and for no reason it seems, I started getting a message everytime I load up PT. It says "An error (-1) occured while initializing OMS. You may continue without OMS functionality." I have PT 6.7. What the heck does that mean? And how do I fix it?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:05 AM

Default Re: What is OMS functionality?

I'm getting the same message.
I concluded it has something to do with the USB MIDI connection of either the Yamaha 01v96, or the M-Audio Keystation I installed at about the same time.

and here's what I found as a solution:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...02&Main=899402
haven't tried it yet, though.

also, that thread doesnt say anything about being able to install & use the Yamaha drivers again afterwards. Might mean the error will reoccur, and I wont be able to use the 01v96 with PTLE..
of course, one of the main reasons I got it was to use it as a controller...

I might upgrade though, any word if the oms problem still exists in PTLE 7?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Avid

This is known to be caused by having software for a Yamaha USB product such as a Motif, DM2000, or P120 Piano installed. You may need to uninstall and/or reinstall the Yamaha software.
There are known issues that can cause problems for Pro Tools when Yamaha software for a Motif or other Yamaha products has been installed on a Windows PC. (Yamaha USB products such as a Motif, DM2000, or P120 Piano).
Symptoms:
1) This software can cause the MIDI ports on the Digi 001 or Digi 002 or Digi 002 Rack not to show up in a Pro Tools session.
2) And/or it can cause an error message when launching Pro Tools:
An error (-1 ) occurred while initializing OMS you may continue without OMS functionality. (Abase # 27250)
3) And/or it can cause the launch of Pro Tools not to finish and revert back to the desktop. (Abase # 27045)

The solution below may prevent users from having to backup the system drive and reinitialize it, since just removing the Yamaha software from Add/Remove Programs has not fixed this issue in the past.

Some customers have used registry cleaner software (they have purchased) to manually remove the driver files associated with the Yamaha software. These registry cleaning applications cost around $20.00. (Registry First Aid or Registrar)

There is also a shareware (free) application called, RegCleaner that may also do the trick, although we have not tried it. Consequently, RegCleaner would be worth trying before purchasing the same type of registry cleaning software, to possibly save money. Here is a link to download RegCleaner:
http://worldstart.com/weekly-downloa...cleaner4.3.htm

Only delete files specified below, otherwise, you can cause problems to Pro Tools and/or other applications. Creating a system restore point in XP is also a good idea, just in case you make a mistake. (Start menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Restore).
How to remove the Yamaha driver files:
1) Launch your registry cleaning application (RegCleaner, Registry First Aid or Registrar). Search for the files in the registry editor and delete them. (Do NOT delete any other files)
Files to search for and delete: ymidusb.sys
********************* xgusb.cpl
********************* xgusb.inf
2) Repair Pro Tools from Add/Remove Programs. Start Menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Select Digidesign Pro Tools LE and click Change/Remove. Then select the Repair button and proceed with the prompts.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:02 AM

yep, thanks. actually that's what was said in the other thread,
while I still have to try and reinstall the drivers, my questions now are:

- Does that mean that I can't use the 01v96 in PTLE6.4 ?
- Does the error still occur in PTLE7.0 ?

thanks,
Andi