Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 AM

Default "You cannot run Pro Tools as 'root'. Please login as a user with Admin priviledges...

Hello colleagues . I am running Pro Tools 7.4cs10 on a mac g5 PPC dual 2 ghz. When initializing Pro Tools it thinks I'm logged in as ROOT user and not as an ADMINISTRATOR (I'm logged in as ADMIN) in OS X 10.5 therefore it won't open. Anyone know about this? This happened randomly, nothing new has changed or upgraded, etc...

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 AM

Default Re: "You cannot run Pro Tools as 'root'. Please login as a user with Admin priviledge

10.5 means you should be running 7.4.2.

I believe 7.4cs10 is for OS 10.4
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM

Default Re: "You cannot run Pro Tools as 'root'. Please login as a user with Admin priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
10.5 means you should be running 7.4.2.

I believe 7.4cs10 is for OS 10.4

I'm downloading version 7.4.2 Hopefully that'll help

THe "funny" thing is that this happened out of nowhere, without updating the OS . I was having problems with the mac booting past the apple screen, it would freeze. Got that solved and then this happened.

Thanks for your post
Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM

Did you try deactivating the root user in your Directory Utility? I may be mixed up in my Mac OS versions, but I think it's in the Edit menu of the Directory Utility found in the Utilities folder inside Applications. Reactivating it when you need it takes a few seconds, so I always deactivate it after use (or just use sudo in Terminal).

If your root user is deactivated and you still get that message, you're really in weird territory. It may be worth opening Terminal and entering the "sudo password root" command, where "password" is your root user password, which should switch the root user's state.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Have you repaired permissions lately?