Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Carbon Mac Studio and Sonoma 14.3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomspot View Post
Same here. Smooth sailing on M2 Studio with latest version of PT and Sonoma. I wouldn't have even known there were issues with Carbon and Sonoma if I wasn't on these forums.

B
Thats good to hear. I am thinking of updating my M1 MBP to the newest Sonoma and PT 2024.3

Update so I am now running Sonoma 14.4 and PT 2024.3 with the Carbon on my lap top and all is working so far..
The only glitch is now my one UAD LA-2A native plug will not work. Apparently to use UAD on Sonoma I have to go through some rigamarole of reboot in safe mode to change some setting to get it to work.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-26-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:29 AM

Kinda in the same boat, OS wise.

Looking at the current (new from Apple) Mac Studio M2 Max as an upgrade to my Carbon based system. I haven't been able to confirm, from Apple which flavor of Sonoma the machine ships with.

Now, I ain't all that up on the operating systems and whether, or how this machine's OS can be downgraded if need be.

Fiscally and schedule wise, I kinda need to do this pretty soon, and I reckon I can not put it into full service until the issues are managed. I always keep the current system running until I'm sure the new one is optimized and running as I like anyway, but y'all know how it is, get a new thing and you wanna play with it as soon as possible.

Some, I see say 14.4 is working great with Carbon, and others not. I haven't seen any comments on the 14.4.1 patch that Apple pushed out WRT the Carbon and PT 2024.3.

Anyone?

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 04-05-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Kinda in the same boat, OS wise.

Looking at the current (new from Apple) Mac Studio M2 Max as an upgrade to my Carbon based system. I haven't been able to confirm, from Apple which flavor of Sonoma the machine ships with.

Now, I ain't all that up on the operating systems and whether, or how this machine's OS can be downgraded if need be.

Fiscally and schedule wise, I kinda need to do this pretty soon, and I reckon I can not put it into full service until the issues are managed. I always keep the current system running until I'm sure the new one is optimized and running as I like anyway, but y'all know how it is, get a new thing and you wanna play with it as soon as possible.

Some, I see say 14.4 is working great with Carbon, and others not. I haven't seen any comments on the 14.4.1 patch that Apple pushed out WRT the Carbon and PT 2024.3.

Anyone?
FWIW, I just picked up a refurb M1 MacStudio. When I put it in recovery mode to see what OS it was on it, I found out it was on 14.4. Up until now I had been running my Carbon on an M1 MacMini on Ventura. So I did what I would usually do and erase the drive on the MacStudio and force it to go online and download the OS that originally shipped with that machine (Monterey or Ventura!?).
Not so much, I ended up with 14.4.1
After researching this it seems that once Sonoma is on your machine there is no easy way to downgrade. So I spend the last 2 days installing Protools 20224.3 and all my plug-ins on 14.4.1. so far so good and I was able to open all my sessions without any problems. Full steam ahead from here on.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
FWIW, I just picked up a refurb M1 MacStudio. When I put it in recovery mode to see what OS it was on it, I found out it was on 14.4. Up until now I had been running my Carbon on an M1 MacMini on Ventura. So I did what I would usually do and erase the drive on the MacStudio and force it to go online and download the OS that originally shipped with that machine (Monterey or Ventura!?).
After researching this it seems that once Sonoma is on your machine there is no easy way to downgrade. So I spend the last 2 days installing Protools 20224.3 and all my plug-ins on 14.4.1. so far so good and I was able to open all my sessions without any problems. Full steam ahead from here on.
Yes Sonoma was programed for Apple by the Borg "Resistance is Futile"

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-06-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Cool. New Mac Studio is to be delivered sometime next week. It’ll probably be two or three weeks before I get it all set up, but once it is, I reckon I’ll see if there are any issues with Carbon.

Thanks

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Old 04-14-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes Sonoma was programed for Apple by the Borg "Resistance is Futile"
Yup seems you will be assimilated . 14.4 was installed on my new machine, so just went ahead and allowed the xx.x.1 update.

Just reporting back that my new Mac Studio M2 Max, 14.4.1, and Pro Tools 2024.3.1 all seem very happy together with Carbon.

Older sessions that were a bit sluggish on my Intel iMac are quite a bit snappier. The graphics are much improved, and certain plugins respond much better. Specifically, McDSP 6050 channel strip would take several seconds to open once instantiated. Much faster now, and the representations of the analog meters are much smoother as well.

So far, recording has gone without a hitch. I DO NOT like that damned orange microphone icon in the menu bar, but I can live with it.

Audiolens was a PITA to re-install but izotope explained the process well.

I’m not a fan of where the power switch is, just because of how I have the machine situated, but again, I can deal with it.

All in all, everything is cool.

I tried “copy midi” function from Sibelius to Pro Tools, but for some reason an “unidentified” cc code was copied also and crashed Opus, thus crashing Pro Tools. (I took the midi that was copied into Pro Tools into Studio One also. Same thing. That’s when I found the errant cc code). Going from Pro Tools to Sibelius was no issues. I’ll try again, but it’s just as easy to export midi from Sibelius. Typically no more than 5 or 10 at a time.

Anyway, just my experiences, ymmv

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
|

Old 04-23-2024, 08:58 AM

Does anyone of you guys have problems with Sonoma 14.4 and latest PT?
After every bounce I have a 22003 issue