How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Default ReWire plugin missing with Waves [SOLVED]

Hello everyone,

I never had to use the Rewire plugin until yesterday when I bought the Waves Tune plugin.

I have installed the plugin and also the latest rewire client from https://www.propellerheads.se/download/updates_rewire/ as required by the product.

When I tried to use the rewire plugin (correctly shown in the plugin lists under instruments) I had an error and the plugin crashed.

I have followed the procedure to delete the plugin buffer under "/Users/<youruser>/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools" that is named "InstalledAAXPlugIns" and I have restarted protools, now I DON'T see the plugin anymore and I cannot find it anywhere, not even in the Unused Plugins Folder.

I tried then to reinstall protools with no success, I simply cannot find and use the rewire plugin.

I am using both pro tools 11.1.3 and 10.3.9 on a Macbook pro duo 8G OS Mavericks 10.9.3

Thank you in advance to anyone could help me to use my latest plugin...

Antonio
Old 06-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: ReWire plugin missing

A couple of things...

There is no Rewire AAX plug-in that would be in your AAX plug-ins folder. Instead, it is built into the Pro Tools 11 application.

Also, the download that you linked to is ReWire 1.7, from April 2006. I don't think you would want or need that.

In Pro Tools 10.x, the "DigiReWire.dpm" would be installed in your RTAS plug-ins folder automatically when you install Pro Tools 10.x.

Depending on what application installer would include the ReWire installer (like Ableton Live, Reason, Sibeius), you might have the "ReWire.bundle" in this folder:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/
Old 06-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Hello,
Waves support replied to me and fixed the problem as stated:

Follow these instructions carefully. Remove the following folders/files:

Go to Applications > Waves > Utilities and run the Waves Uninstaller file. Choose Remove All.
Macintosh HD >Applications Remove the Waves folder
Macintosh HD >Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components Remove all Waveshell-AU.component files
Macintosh HD >Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>VST Remove all Waveshell-VST.vst files
Macintosh HD >Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>VST3 Remove all Waveshell-VST.vst3 files
Macintosh HD >Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug-Ins Remove all Waveshell-DAE.dpm files
Macintosh HD >Library>Application Support>Avid>Audio>Plug-Ins Remove all Waveshell-AAX.aaxplugin files
Macintosh HD >Users>Current User>Library>Caches Remove Waves folder
Macintosh HD >Users>Current User>Library>Preferences Remove the Waves Preferences folder
Macintosh HD >Users>Current User>Library>Preferences>Avid>Protools and move the installedAAXPlugins file to the Desktop.
Empty the Trash.

The Home User Library folder may be hidden.
In order to see it, hold down the Option key and it will appear in the upper apple menu under Go.

Please go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General Tab, Unlock it from the right bottom side. Make sure that Allow application downloaded from is set to anywhere.

To install on Mac OS 10.9 “Mavericks” please use the Offline Installer for Mac, located at the bottom of the Download Version 9 page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and download the Mac Offline Installer. When you get to "Installation Type Menu", scroll down to Single Plug-Ins and check Waves Tune only.

Launch Pro Tools. Open a new session and see if everything is working properly.

Hope this will help someone else, thank you

Antonio
Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: ReWire plugin missing with Waves [SOLVED]

Quote:
Hope this will help someone else, thank you

Antonio
Thanks to you for reporting back with the detailed solution.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:38 PM

Default Re: ReWire plugin missing with Waves [SOLVED]

For the record and for the Windows users out there, I also came up against this on both Windows 7 and Mac OSX, and found it was essential to install Waves Tune, then download and install the Pro-Tools 11.3.1 update from my account in http://account.avid.com.

Research indicates an uninstall/reinstall of Pro-Tools may be necessary after installing the Waves Tune Plug-in if you already have the latest Pro-Tools version installed, as it seems to set-up it's Rewire connectivity for available Rewire instruments at install time and doesn't always see them in the case of Rewire instruments installed after Pro-Tools is already installed and running.

Installing the update resolved the missing 'Waves Rewire' issue on both 64-bit Windows and Mac in my case, and On the Mac running Yosemite it also resolved the issue of this error which I experienced too:

"The following plugins failed to load because they are not valid 64 bit AAX plugins: WaveShell-AAX 9.2aaxplugin"

*Note 1; I did delete the pro-tools preferences plist file and 'Pro-Tools' folder from MacHD > Users > Username > Library > Preferences > Avid on the Mac before installing the update too.

*Note 2; Issues with Rewire availability and 64-bit Applications are generally resolved by reinstalling the application(s) in question themselves nowadays rather than seeking out a specific 'ReWire Installer', as the Rewire components for 64-bit hosts/slaves are not available as a separate installer from Propellerhead like they used to be, and are very program-specific in their installation, connectivity and operation - all of which is usually established at install time for the Application in question.

I Hope this helps other Windows users with this issue in particular.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:15 PM

this is for bruce, hi, do you know anything about ableton live/ rewire issues w/ live version 9+ in PT 10+? at first, rewire could launch, but 9.7 wouldn't in slave mode. then after much trouble shooting, the plug in (for ableton live) disappeared! do you know where it lives when rewire & ableton live ARE working? in the software, the "ableton live" plug lives in the instruments folder. i've searched carbon copy back up's, but no plug in found. any ideas where it lives? or how to get the plug in back? (i have an older version of live i can backtrack to, to use w/ rewire if i can get the ableton plug in back in my instruments folder.
- - -
mac quad core xeon, PT 10.3.10, ableton 9+ and 8+, os X 10.8.5