Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 03:11 PM

Default Re: S1 recommended router

Hi Eddie,

I've plugged in the router and set it up via Bluetooth.
I've plugged the Carbon directly into the Mac Studio only ethernet port as recommended.
I've plugged S1 and Dock into the AC5400. How do I connect these to the Mac Studio?

Thank you in advance.

M

Last edited by mumblebee; 03-15-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:53 PM
Avid

The Carbon needs to be plugged in directly to the Mac as before. The new router needs to be plugged into the Mac, Dock and S1, only use the 4 normal ports not the Wan port.

You need to make sure that the new routers IP range is not the same as your home router. So if your home range is 192.168.1.x make the new router 192.168.2.x. So the new router will be the first address 192.168.2.1 and anything connecting to it will have 192.168.2.2 onwards.

Remember any network changes usually require a full reboot of everything including the Mac and surfaces, before the new IP addresses assign.

Once that's all working you can try connecting the Avid Control to the new Router to.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:20 PM

Thank you for the help, Eddie. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be more than your remit, but I have no idea how to change the router's IP range—I have scoured the internet for instructions but to no avail.

Using the TP-Link Tether app to set up the router using Bluetooth (as I'm not using WiFi), I'm prompted me to select one of the following connection types.

Dynamic IP
Static IP
PPoE
L2TP
PPTP

I click the Auto Detect button, which reads, "WAN port is unplugged."

As you said, I shouldn't use the WAN port, so could you clarify how to get this setup to work?

Thank you.

M
Old 03-15-2023, 10:13 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblebee View Post
Thank you for the help, Eddie. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be more than your remit, but I have no idea how to change the router's IP range—I have scoured the internet for instructions but to no avail.

Using the TP-Link Tether app to set up the router using Bluetooth (as I'm not using WiFi), I'm prompted me to select one of the following connection types.

Dynamic IP
Static IP
PPoE
L2TP
PPTP

I click the Auto Detect button, which reads, "WAN port is unplugged."

As you said, I shouldn't use the WAN port, so could you clarify how to get this setup to work?

Thank you.

M
No problem...just about to go to bed but i can help you with this tomorrow....I know TP link stuff
Old 03-16-2023, 08:29 AM
Avid

See this page for help https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/f...20the%20router.

Remember you only need to change this if the networks are the same. You can check this by looking at your MAC WiFi adapters settings and seeing what its address is and then at the ethernet adapters network settings in the Mac are (when the new router is connected) Let me know what these two are?
Old 03-16-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Look forward to hearing your results after you get things set up, and thanks RichR for sharing your info.

S1 and Dock here on an Apple Time Capsule 2TB (working fine but I should probably replace it in the not too distant future!). iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy Tab A along with iMac (HD Native Thunderbolt) and Mac Mini (Eleven Rack) all WiFi. I open EuControl on the computer I'm currently running Pro Tools on.
FYI I dumped my TC for a Netgear Nighthawk for Source Connect and it turned out that the TC was killing my WIFI real bad. It went from 60mb to 450 mb/sec. I of course run ethernet to my studio, but it's nice to have that speed on WIFI. I had no idea how crappy that Time Capsule was. Used them for years or at least Apples version. Maybe different with where you store your Time stuff on. I find it really useless and just do clones.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-16-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
See this page for help https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/f...20the%20router.

Remember you only need to change this if the networks are the same. You can check this by looking at your MAC WiFi adapters settings and seeing what its address is and then at the ethernet adapters network settings in the Mac are (when the new router is connected) Let me know what these two are?
Hi Eddie,

I've managed to get the S1 and Dock to connect via the TPLink, however as soon as I do, my Mac can no longer connect to my original WiFi router downstairs? I've attached some pictures of my Mac's network setting before I plug in the TPLink and then the settings after. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEFORE.jpg (30.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AFTER.jpg (30.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.20.45 PM.jpg (23.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.23.49 PM.jpg (24.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.20.58 PM.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:00 AM
Avid

I need to see pictures of the wifi and the USB Ethernet settings too. Like the black images for the internal ethernet. The new router settings look good (as long as they are not the same as your internet router) If they are the easiest change to make is on that new router advanced network settings page...LAN.... change 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 Reboot everything.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I need to see pictures of the wifi and the USB Ethernet settings too. Like the black images for the internal ethernet. The new router settings look good (as long as they are not the same as your internet router) If they are the easiest change to make is on that new router advanced network settings page...LAN.... change 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 Reboot everything.
Thanks, Eddie.

"If they are the easiest change to make is on that new router advanced network settings page...LAN.... change 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 Reboot everything."

I tried the above suggestion: everything worked but I no longer had WiFi access the internet via my Mac Studio.

Here you go:

Last edited by mumblebee; 03-17-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblebee View Post
Thanks, Eddie.

"If they are the easiest change to make is on that new router advanced network settings page...LAN.... change 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 Reboot everything."

I tried the above suggestion: everything worked but I no longer had WiFi access the internet via my Mac Studio.

Here you go:
I think you have things setup correctly now. put the Wifi at the top of the list in the Mac Prefs